Why You Don't Need Special Cleaning Products for Your Genitals

Your personal cleaning routine probably includes a few trusty products you use every day, such as a cleanser for your face and shampoo for your hair. But when cleaning your genitals, things can seem a bit more complicated - especially when drugstore products claim to keep that area 'fresh'. It can be, in a word, confusing.

But do you really need a special cleaning kit for your genitals? Spoiler: no. So what should you be doing instead? I uncover the (very simple) solution.

Vagina vs Vulva: Why it matters for cleaning

First things first: Let's start by recapping our knowledge of our anatomy. We often mistakenly use the word "vagina" to describe this whole area. But it's important to distinguish between the vulva and the vagina, especially in the context of cleaning.
You'll find out why in just a sec.

The vulva is the section of your genitals on the outside of your body. The vagina is the inner part a tube, of sorts, that connects to your cervix, which is the opening of the uterus.

You might have learned this in biology class. But there's nothing wrong with a refresh.

How to clean your Vagina:

Now let's move on to the main question: How should you clean your vagina? In short, don't! Cleverly, the vagina is self-cleaning. It naturally uses vaginal discharge to keep itself healthy.

Normal discharge will often be clear/white and odorless. And it does its job by sweeping dead cells away from the lining of the vagina. Thanks to this finely tuned mechanism, you don't need to do anything to clean this area.

The vagina is also slightly acidic and has a specific balance of bacteria. Fun fact: It actually contains more bacteria than any other part of the body, except for the bowel.

Perfumed lotions, gels, sprays, deodorants, and chemicals such as antibacterial soap can upset this balance, leading to discomfort, irritation, and infection. So keep these products well away from your vagina.

What to do if you're worried about vaginal odor

It's natural to be worried about a smell coming from your vagina, but it's completely normal to have at least some vaginal odor. Plus, this can change depending on where you are in your menstrual cycle.

Everyone's body is different, but if you notice a strong or unpleasant smell that seems out of the ordinary for you, speak to your health care provider. You could have an infection that needs treatment.

And, once more for the people in the back: Stay away from perfumed creams, gels, or sprays!! These could upset the balance of your vagina and make the odor worse.

How to clean your vulva

Unlike your vagina, your vulva is not self-cleaning. So you may wish to include it in your daily bathing routine. It might be tempting to buy one of the dedicated lotions or gels that are advertised as caring for this area, but you're better off saving your money.

To clean the vulva, simply use warm water that isn't too hot. That's all you need. Yes, really! Although, you can also use a mild or unperfumed soap if you prefer.

1. Start at the front and move to the back to prevent bacteria from the anus from traveling into the vagina, which could cause a urinary tract infection.

2. Use gentle movements to wash around the entire area.

3. Try not to let any water or soap enter the vagina to help prevent discomfort and infection.

4. Finally, dry the area carefully with a clean towel. And that's it!

How to clean your genitals when you're on your period:

You can clean your genitals in exactly the same way when you're on your period; although, you may wish to clean them more than once a day for comfort.

What else can you do to help keep your vulva and vagina healthy?

There are a couple of other things you can do to help keep your vulva and vagina healthy.

1. Improve your general health by opting for a balanced diet and regular exercise. Physical activity, such as walking and running, can also help to tone up your pelvic floor - bonus!

2. Choose cotton underwear, as this breathable fabric can help keep your vulva infection-free.

3. Use condoms during sex to help stop infections such as chlamydia and gonorrhea.

Above all, get to know your body, especially your own vaginal odor and how much discharge you typically produce. This will make it easier for you to spot when something might be amiss.

Don't forget, your vagina cleans itself. And when
washing your vulva, water is really all you need!