Real People Share How to Beat the Blues

When it comes to combating mood swings, there's power in numbers. I took to the comments section on all social medias to dig out all the surprising tips and tricks you're all sharing to keep those emotions in check. Here's what I found.

Tip #1: Ditch the Junk Food

Sweets and ice cream are our friends right? Sadly, not always. What might seem like a delicious dose of sugar-coated calm can in fact be the very thing triggering your anxiety and low mood. Bummer, right?

Don't worry, it's not all bad. Some of you have already discovered that healthier alternatives can help you stay more balanced and in control. One user swears by "cartoons and dark chocolate" (much more nutritious than milk chocolate), while another opts for "ginger tea after some gentle stretching."

Makes sense: after all, studies have shown eating fruit and vegetables reduces your chance of becoming depressed later in life.

Tip: I've always been told that chocolate milk helps sore muscles. So, take yourself to Kroger or FoodCity and grab some vegan dark chocolate milk and drink a glass after going to the gym or going for a run. It has to be dark chocolate and it has to be almond, oat, cashew.. some kind of plant based milk. SILK dark chocolate almond milk is good. But the BEST vegan milk of all time it's oat milk!!
(SILK dark chocolate soy milk is yummy too and sometimes you can find them in these cute little like juice boxes but with milk, and a fun little straw. It's super cute!)
Secondly, Dove has a delicious, silky dark chocolate but Walmart now has these nice chocolate bars that are made with oat milk. They're surprisingly nice for being so affordable. They've got a nice snap to them, they're shiny, and they're delicious.
I highly recommend all the above! : )

Tip #2: Blast Those Tunes

Singing at the top of your lungs with the car windows rolled down ..... busting some moves in your bedroom mirror .... listening to your favorite dance floor classics — in its many different forms, music seems to be the biggest serotonin-booster for many of you throughout those emotionally charged pre-period days.

Studies have long shown the healing powers of a good bass line on our mental health, and soothing depression and anxiety is high on the list of benefits it can bring. Just try to keep it upbeat - commenters suggest anything from "calming music" to "rock and roll." In short, it's probably not the right time for Adele.

Tip: i personally listen to everything from Poison, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Ozzy Osborne.. to TobyMac, Falling in Reverse, Hollywood Undead, and Skid Row. (i have a public Apple Music & Spotify playlist. let me know if i should either share my link or recommend some songs for y'all :) — everybody i know asks me to make them a playlist so i do and i get them into all this new music and into these bands they've never even heard of or thought to listen to.. i sometimes will fit them with music that reminds me of them and it'll become they're new favourites. idk i think it's cool haha) for my very old but very viral Spotify playlist from 2013, i added loads of music; movie soundtracks, Christian rap, old school hip hop, 80s rock, classic rock, pop, so so so much. and many people followed and listened to it and they would tweet me and be like "this is music i haven't heard in decades, thank you for sharing it with me again!" and "wow this is music i'd never think to listen to otherwise" ya know?? Because if you tell someone "oh go listen to this Christian song" chances are, they won't. ya know?? But if you make them a playlist and they're flipping through and they hear it and they stick around and listen to it, chances are they won't even be able to tell it's a Christian song and they're gonna be boppin out to it lol (the only Christian music i put on my playlists are TobyMac and i can guarantee that everybody who listens to any of his music, will absolutely fall in love. he makes the greatest music probably ever and has for over 20 years.. he's a wonderful mix of jazz, R&B, rap, hip hop and soul.. it's beautiful. and he's a local, he's here from Tennessee:) so we love him here!) lol maybe the very last chapter of this book I'll add every song i think is decent and y'all can give 'em a listen and if you love it or hate it, you'll be able to leave inline comments so that'll be fun:) okay im done rambling now sorry (:

Tip #3: Fall In Love With You

Positive affirmations (for example, I am amazing. I am strong.), at-home pampering, watching movies, masturbating .... let's just call it all self-love. It means something different to everyone, but it's what many commenters turn to when they're feeling down during their cycle. One commenter recommends, "a relaxing bath, hot shower and a nice cuppa;" another says, "journaling has become the best friend that reminds them the bad times will pass."

But it's not just about having an excuse to treat yourself. Studies show that self-esteem is actually proven to have a positive effect on your mood. So, the kinder you are to yourself, the better you'll feel. Time to work on it!

Tip #4: Get Out of Your Head

Mindfulness is known to be a great tool when it comes to our mental well-being. Studies show it's linked to increased feelings of comfort and relaxation, as well as reduced feelings of anxiety and depression. It'll come as no surprise then that this goes for your monthly mood swings, too — a win-win!

One commenter started meditating last spring and says, "I'm way less stressed, don't overthink as much, and can't even remember my last mood swing!" Another commenter claims it stopped her negative thinking, saying, "I was always miserable and on edge, but now I feel a lot more chilled out." If you struggle to get into the zone when it comes to meditation, don't give up on the idea yet - another commenter says, "deep-breathing works just as well too." Namaste.

Tip #5: Move Your Body

It's normally the last thing in the world we want to do when we're feeling down, but many of you say exercise is the key to staying sane when your hormones are running haywire. For some, it's all about gentle stretching and leisurely strolls. Others say the more intense the workout, the better.

Thankfully, research says it's less about what you do, and more about how often you do it, so don't worry if a brisk walk around the block is all you can manage. Essentially, no matter how good staying glued to your couch might feel, moving will make you feel 10 times better. Promise.

Join the conversation by getting involved and commenting your opinions, feelings, or suggestions!