Vagina Smell: The Good, The Bad, and The Funky

Does my vagina smell normal? It's one of those
questions we've probably all thought at some point,
but few of us have dared to ask it out loud.
Realistically, we know our nether regions aren't supposed to smell like a rose garden. Every vagina has its own unique smell, and that smell probably errs more on the side of 'human body part' than cotton candy, cornflower meadow, or strawberry sundae. Whatever the 'feminine hygiene' industry might want you to believe, these kinds of fragrances have no business near your vagina.

Still, it's nice to have some reassurance, especially given how little the topic is discussed. Is the odor a sign that everything's working well down there? Or is it your body's way of telling you something's up? If you want to get to the bottom of it, read on.

So, What Should a Vagina Smell Like?

First things first, if you notice a mild odor, it's usually totally normal. The exact smell will depend on your menstrual cycle phase, along with other factors like whether you've had sex lately or have been working out.

Generally speaking, due to their acidic pH level, healthy vaginas typically smell a little like mild, fermented milk. The acidity of the vagina (pH less than 4.5) helps keep levels of yeast and bacteria in check.

If you're on your period, you may notice a slightly metallic smell, simply because blood contains iron. If you've had unprotected penile sex, the smell may change due to the more alkaline pH of sperm, but it should go back to normal quickly. There are also a lot of sweat glands in the groin. So anything that affects your general body odor, like an intense workout, can also affect the smell around your vagina.

What Kinds of Smells Should I Watch Out For?

A really overpowering or unpleasant vaginal smell can indicate a condition that needs attention. Don't stress - the environment down there is quite easily disturbed, and most of us will experience this at one point or another! If you're concerned, it's worth visiting your health care provider to get it checked out.

If there's a bit of a fishy odor, the most common cause is bacterial vaginosis (BV). This happens when the vagina becomes more alkaline than usual, and the balance of bacteria is disrupted. There might also be some irritation, a burning sensation when you pee, and a thin whitish-gray discharge. Luckily, it's easily cleared up with antibiotics.

Another common culprit of fishy-smelling discharge is trichomoniasis, a sexually transmitted infection that may also cause itching and burning. Again, this can be cleared up with antibiotics, so book an appointment with your health care provider (and get your partners to do so as well).

Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) can also cause an unpleasant smell, as well as other symptoms like bleeding between periods and pain during sex. This happens when an untreated infection spreads upward into the uterus, ovaries, and uterine tubes. It can lead to long-term problems like infertility, so it's important to get it treated.

Finally, if you notice a really pungent, unpleasant smell, make sure you haven't left a tampon in. While a tampon can't get lost inside you, if you can't retrieve it yourself and you're having other symptoms, be sure to see a health care provider asap.

Tips for letting your vagina do it's healthy thing

So what can you do to keep your vaginal smell in balance? The first step is to practice good hygiene, which means washing the vulva (the area around the vagina) whenever you take a bath or shower. You can use plain, unperfumed soap or just water. Avoid scented products, which can irritate the vagina.

Douching (washing out the internal part of the vagina with water or other fluids) is another no-no. In the United States, almost one in five women aged 15 to 44 douche, even though medical advice says not to. It's linked to health problems like BV and PID. It can exacerbate the kinds of smells you're hoping to wash away. Remember, the vagina is self cleaning, and douching or adding scented products will hurt more than help.

Other ways to keep your vagina healthy include wearing loose-fitting, cotton underwear and changing out of sweaty workout gear as soon as possible. When you're on your period, change your pad or tampon every few hours to avoid the build-up of bacteria. Finally, when you go to the bathroom, always wipe from front to back.

It's also smart to look after your overall health as much as possible, such as by eating a healthy diet and staying active. Eating well has been shown to lower your risk of BV, while probiotic foods can go a long way toward maintaining the right balance of bacteria. However, we don't yet know whether specific foods can make your vagina smell nicer. Although some people swear by pineapple and citrus fruits, there hasn't been any specific research to back that up.

Whatever your vagina smells like, there is no need to be embarrassed or ashamed. Get to know your vagina and what's normal for you at different times in your menstrual cycle. Then, if any issues do crop up, you'll have the info you need to get them treated. There is always plenty of help on hand.