Endometriosis: Tips for Successful Treatment

1. Remember to take medication on a regular basis

Among people who get medical care for endometriosis, 54% are satisfied with treatment. It's important to keep taking medicines as prescribed, as the efficacy of treatment decreases if the medication isn't take consistently. It may take a while until the medication works - sometimes a few months.

2. Don't be afraid of hormonal effects -  they're only temporary

Most of the medications prescribed to treat endometriosis inhibit endometrial growth and may suppress ovulation. This can make it impossible to conceive during the course of treatment, which is something to keep in mind if getting pregnant is in your immediate plans. However, the effect of hormones on your fertility is only temporary, and these medications are very efficient for pain relief and heavy periods.

3. Complete the treatment - don't stop halfway

Surgery (usually laparoscopy) can remove endometriosis tissue and get rid of symptoms. But the recurrence of endometriosis is also possible, which is why hormonal treatment is sometimes prescribed after surgery to prevent endometrial foci from developing again.

4. Be sure to get follow-up care

Because endometriosis treatment is ongoing and recurrence is possible even after surgery, it's essential to have regular follow-up care. It should be provided by an experienced specialist who understands your condition and listens to you when you tell them how endometriosis is affecting your life. Pain may need to be managed by multiple specialists in different areas.