Your Diet Can Affect Your Cramps

During your periods, the uterus produces large amounts of prostaglandins. These are hormone-like substances that cause the uterus to contract and shed its lining (endometrium). The more prostaglandins, the stronger the contractions and more intense the pain they cause.

To ease your cramps, try eating less foods that increase the production of prostaglandins. Some things to temporarily avoid include milk, sour cream, mayonnaise, butter, chicken, and turkey. These foods contain omega-6 unsaturated fatty acids, the precursor for prostaglandins.

Instead, you can eat foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which will lower the amount of prostaglandins produced. Salmon, soy, and walnuts are some examples of these foods.

Vitamin E can also help. It suppresses prostaglandin production and decreases their concentration in the bloodstream. You can get it from sunflower seeds and oil, hazelnuts, peanuts and peanut butter, spinach, and broccoli.

Whole grain cereals (barley, quinoa, oatmeal, brown rice) pomegranates, pineapples, and tomatoes also slow down prostaglandin synthesis, which makes them great additions to your diet if you get cramps.

** i truly hope this book and these chapters are helping somebody out there :)
if you know anybody that could benefit from any of these chapters, please send them the link xx