02. The Letter is Read

Ashlin

In life we are often so stuck in our bubble, we hardly notice the things around us. We don't see that we aren't alone in struggles. We aren't alone in crying silently because we don't want to trouble our loved ones. We aren't even alone in getting upset because we got betrayed by someone we trusted. If only we'd step out of our bubble, just for a while... we'd eventually see that everyone hurts in their own way. Some are just better at hiding it, good at burying it beneath a smile and going through the daily running of life, like all is well.

I guess that might have been the case with Zion. He had probably felt so alone because he was around people who hid their hurt well. I could be wrong of course and I hated jumping to conclusions. Yet as an outsider...what more could I do.

So as I read his letter, that's all I did jump to conclusions.

Dear Mom,
I know you were probably annoyed when you saw my name on the envelope. Yet to be fair I did use a blue one because I remembered it was your favorite color. Now I'm not going to blabber for long, as you always loved to get to the good stuff. I guess that's what you did huh? You got to your new family, after throwing Dad and I to the curb because in your eyes we were always trash.

I guess you couldn't stand going to the doctor's office every week to hear how his condition got worse. Heck maybe it was simply asking me how was practice and preparing dinner that truly caused you to leave. Yet I bet you thought I took it well because I was always your 'Strong boy'.

I must admit I was strong for two years but guess who died last week? No, much to your disappointment Dad is alive. Yet Aunt Sophie isn't, yes the only person who tried to help me out of my darkness is dead. Is it bad for wishing it was me...'Your strong boy'.

Shocking I know, yet I just don't see why I should be here. I mean I'm the delinquent, who did nothing but run and tackle people to get to my dream school. The dream school that will cause my absence from Dad's life. Oh, I'm also the untrusting and rude guy that pushes all the good people away because of the trust issues you left me with.
To put the cherry on top, a week before our 1 year anniversary, my girlfriend cheated on me. Now I would have been strong in that situation but guess who she slept with? If you thought Gabe, my childhood best friend...then bingo mom. F**king Bingo, I thought she was the one. I thought she loved me but I guess nobody really can love me. You obviously never did.

You know I could go on and on but the truth is I'm truly empty. I have no one left, no friends, no girlfriend, no mom and dad is stuck in a coma that I put him in. The only person who would've stood by me, is in a coma because of my Reckless decisions. All I have are these trophies that mean nothing to me. They never got your attention anyways and sure as hell won't wake dad up.

I'm just a waste of space. Aunt Sophie used to tell me to dig deeper and find the will to live. ....Yet I can't, I can't go on like this. I'm writing this as a goodbye...I hope one day we meet beyond this life and you'll finally love me enough to stay.

~Zion

After reading the letter, I realized it was clearly meant for someone else. Whoever Zion's mom was it was her letter to receive. Yet as I checked the address on the back of the blue envelope, the address of the recipient was my address. I could tell it was a mistake on Zion's part but I couldn't help but see it as...fate.

For some weird reason, this letter made it's way to me and not his mom. It came when I was home alone, so no one but myself could receive it. I had no idea why I was chosen, why it came specifically to me. Yet I was not going to push it aside, knowing there was some hope I could save this boy.

After all, he may have sent it to merely catch his mom's attention. To see if she'd come. Maybe he was really going to do it. Worst case scenario could be that he already did it. Yet I refused to believe that.

Praying to God that the boy, Zion, changed his mind...I ran through the front door. It was a bright Sunday morning and I had so many plans, so many reports to write and a pile of clothes to wash. Yet none of that mattered. Rushing across the street to the neighbor's house, I knocked on their door repeatedly.

Around the 9th knock, the door swung open. Revealing Mrs. Denver in her night gown. A clear indicator I had disturbed her beauty rest. I could tell by the forced smile on her face, that she was trying her best not to snap at me. Yet I could care less about her beauty rest or her snapping at me.

"I need to borrow your car, It's an emergency" I spoke, getting straight to the point.

Not so much as a good morning or small talk. My voice was filled with urgency. I couldn't waste any time on chit chat.

This was life or death. Based on the letter, it seemed Zion might be living alone, with his aunt now out of the picture. Which would make his suicide attempt or success easier. The letter didn't give away when he planned to do it. So I could either get there before or after he did it.

Which I was hoping would be before.

"An emergency! How can I help?" Mrs. Denver asked, suddenly in panic mode.

I guess maybe I shouldn't have done what I did next, as I look back on that Sunday morning.

As I shouted at poor Mrs. Denver, to just give me the keys and mind her business.

I was never rude to the lady before, infact we lived quite well. She was like family. Yet my mind was running a mile a minute and I had to get on the road. I had to hold on to the 2% chance that Zion was still alive.

Mrs. Denver had rushed off into the house to get the keys. Probably afraid I'd push pass her and get it myself. I could already hear my mom yelling at me for this little incident. For I knew Mrs. Denver would phone her as soon as I'd disappear down the road.

It took a few minutes but she soon emerged with the keys to her SUV. I gladly took them and made my way to her car. Getting in as quickly as I could, I drove off without a look back. Which was for the best because I'm sure all I'd see was a dumbstruck 40 year old woman.

I drove for about 5 minutes before I realized, I had no idea where I was going. So I pulled off the main road unto the curb and grabbed the blue envelope. Looking down on the two addresses I read the top one.
Apparently I was in for a long drive, as the letter was sent from across the country.

So now I had to drive straight to the train station which was an hour's drive away because the quickest way to the destination was by train.

I began digging around Mrs. Denver's car for cash because I hadn't had time to grab any before leaving the house. My cards and everything else was left as well. Luckily for me Mrs. Denver had left a wad of cash under the front seat in an unsuspecting little area. So I was good where traveling expenses were concerned.

Starting up the car once more, I drove off down the road. I was praying and hoping that I wasn't too late, that Zion had a change of heart. Yet in the back of my mind dark thoughts tried to push through.

What if he did it ?

The voice mocked as I tried to stay focused on the road.

What if you're wasting your time?

This time I screamed, so loud that I hurt my own ears. I fought the thoughts with positive ones. Keeping my thoughts optimistic and trying my best to protect my sanity.

If Zion wasn't ok when I got there I don't know how I would deal with it. Yet I was still going, still hanging on by that 2%. I just couldn't bring myself to think about finding him dead and alone.

He was going to be ok, he was going to be smiling and laughing with friends. He was going to tell me it was a prank. That's what was going to happen right?

Right?....

Hello lovely readers👋🏽
Comments are welcomed😇
And Voting is truly appreciated ❤️
See you in the next bit👋🏽✨