18. Party & Penelope

Zion

After the volleyball game, I was going to head straight home to get some rest. I had no plans to go to the after party, getting wasted wasn't as appealing to me as it was a month ago. All I wanted was to hear Ashlin's voice and see her face one last time before going off to Dreamland.

However the football team had other plans. They were pestering me nonstop to go to the party. Saying It would help our next games turnout. It was a load of BS really. They knew damn well our game would be packed whether I showed up or not.

So I had resisted but Taylor didn't give up as easily as the rest.

"Guys don't you see he's all booed up now? He's going to spend the night talking about Mani Pedi with his girl." Taylor teased causing the others to laugh.

"Shut up" I warned as I bumped shoulders with him.

"Must be that Ashley chick" Holden joined in and I rolled my eyes at his mispronunciation of her name.

"Her names Ashlin King actually, a super scholar of St Valdire. A genius at Chess and the ex of that goody too shoes Shiro" Gabe spoke up causing everyone to fall silent and give him all their attention.

Wtf?

Even I was impressed, how did he know all that?

"Woah, you seem a bit invested. Don't tell me you and Penny called it quits" Liam commented acting sympathetic but we all knew he was secretly in love with Penelope.

"No, of course not. Penelope will always be my main girl. Ashlin on the other hand could be my favorite backup." He spoke confidently a smug look on his face.

My blood boiled at his words, as I tried my best to hold my peace.

He was either trying to cause a fight or was completely out of his mind.

Ashlin would never go for a douche like him.

"Man aren't you smart? I've been telling y'all to get your backups!" Holden cheered, fist bumping Gabe in the process.

He was such an ass, he and Gabe were literal scum bags. To think people thought I was like them was sick. Popularity hadn't changed me, I believed in being committed in a relationship. Plus I didn't like the idea of sharing my body with girls as if it was a game.

"Holden, that's not cool man" Taylor commented, as unimpressed as I was with the topic.

Holden rolled his eyes at Taylor and walked away with the others to leave for the party.

So I was left with Taylor, watching them from behind as they got into the different cars.

"I know you don't want to go but I have to. I just don't wanna be with those douchebags all night" Taylor began, easing his way into asking me to just tag along.

"You don't have to man, It's just a dumb party." I voiced, frustrated with the obsession over the dumb party.

"It's not just a dumb party man, I was invited. By the one and only herself too" he explained and my Jaw dropped.

"No way" I replied excitedly.

"Yes way" he confirmed and I bumped him on the shoulder.

"Then I guess I can be your wingman for one night " I gave in as I had to be a good bro.

He had been smitten by Arielle Hadish for the longest time. She was Penelope's best friend. Yet she was nothing like Penelope. She was a quiet, brilliant and sarcastic girl. She was like Ashlin but in my eyes Ashlin was way better.