33. The Right Thing

Zion

"Yo Z! They bouta start!" Taylor yelled from the entrance way of the Auditorium.

It was Cidshore High's graduation day and I had to sit at the front because of the alphabetical seating. Yet I was taking a bit longer than everyone because coach wouldn't stop taking pictures. As he insisted I'd thank him later when I had kids.

So I let him take as much as he wanted but I really needed to get to my seat. The ceremony would start any second now and I didn't want the whole auditorium looking at me when I entered. I would much rather be seated than be a distraction.

"I'm right behind you bro" I replied and turned to go after Taylor.

"Gotta go Coach" I threw over my shoulder.

To which Coach Jared sighed and replied "Go get em champ"

Then he was gone, probably off to help set up for Prom. As our school held it each year, the night of graduation. So the coaches and Juniors normally set up the gym and ensure everything was set for a fun filled night.

The biggest night of every highschool seniors year.

I knew Taylor was going, as he'd done a grand gesture for Arielle asking her to the prom. In the middle of the hall, he had gotten the school band to put on a small show for her. Then he got down on one knee with a rose bracelet and asked her to go with him. While I held up the sign behind him. To which she obviously said yes because they had been officially dating for weeks.

How cute and romantic they were, to the point it was sickening.

Why? because they reminded me of everything I couldn't have with Ashlin.

At least not until I got help.

I wasn't going to Prom that year. Why? I had no date, no excitement and no real reason to go. To me it was just another night and that didn't seem worth the hassle.

After following Taylor into the Auditorium, I made my way upfront. He had to sit in the back because of his last name being Stark. So unfortunately I had to sit beside some random person I didn't know.

As soon as I sat down, the ceremony began and I thanked the Lord. I had gotten to my seat at the perfect time. Now all I had to do was sit through a boring 3-4 hours of speeches, awards etc.

After a good while of different people encouraging the graduates. It finally came to the moment I had been waiting for though the moment would surely be bitter sweet. For I had no one that truly cared to see me take the stage.

"Delores Asbourne, Vice President of the robotics club, IT scholar and future Mechanical Engineer!" The man in charge of calling us on stage and reading out our achievements spoke.

Delores, smiled happily as she made her way up the stage, then across the stage to get her Diploma and take her picture.

Her Mom kept screaming in the back, shouting
"That's my daughter! Go Del!"

Then she came back to her seat as the audience continued to applaud and her mom settled down.

I turned to scan the crowd as the next person was called on stage. I had felt a burning sensation, as if someone was drilling holes in the back of my head with their gaze. At first I found no culprit, then there she was looking straight at me.

Ellen

My mother in all her glory. Decked out in black with a little green hat. Her lips painted a bright red and her hair super straight, though it was naturally curly.

Why was she here?

Was my first internal thought but I snapped out of it. As my name was being called as well as my achievements being read out. So I turned myself towards the stage and got up.