08. Texting, Calling

Ashlin

Friday rolled around quickly and before I knew it school had come to an end. It was time to head to the library as I had an evening shift. I was was a bit tired not gonna lie but I was a tad bit happy to see Jackson. I hadn't seen him at all the entire week, which lead me to believe he was avoiding Fabiola.

Breakups were hard, yet it was worse when you got cheated on. Especially when you loved the person deeply. For Jackson, Fabiola was his world. Everyone in school knew their story, as Jackson was one of the three heartbreakers. Until Fabiola moved to town and tamed him.

Leaving his brother and best friend to run the business. Jake his twin and Jacob his best friend. Jacob soon retired from his player ways following Jackson but Jake wasn't ready. Anyways I knew what I had to do if he  didn't show up to walk me to the bus stop after work.

I'd have to ask Jake what was going on and maybe go to their house to cheer him up.

I made my way to the parking lot of the school to meet Elizabeth. I always got a ride to work from Liz every Friday. As she called that our bonding time, plus she worked with Jackson across from the library. So it was a win win.

As soon as I located her car, I ran over. Yet I stopped half way at the sight of her and Gabriana whispering to each other. I wondered what they were on about but figured I'd just ask. Asking was surely better than standing at a distance like a creep.

"Hey guys, mind sharing the scoop?" I  joked as I approached them.

They both paused the whispering and gave me guilty looks. What they were guilty for was beyond me. So I waited for insight.

Luckily Gabriana spoke up.

"Oh, um...I was just telling Liz that Shelton asked me out" she answered, sounding a bit bored.

I gave her the excited look because Shelton was so cute and she did have a crush on him for some time.

However she seemed the least bit excited. Which caused my face to fall, what was the problem now? Clearing my throat gently...I waited for the explanation.

None came, instead she bid us farewell and went on her way.

"Ok, If you don't tell me what that was I'll actually be pissed" I let out, turning to Liz with a puzzled expression.

Gabriana wasn't like that, especially towards me. She was always chill and found no problem in letting out her worries and doubts. Yet just now, all she did was walk away.

"Just get in the car" Liz instructed and I obliged as I knew she'd explain on the way.

As soon as I sat at shot gun and locked my door. Liz checked her mirrors and backed out of the parking lot. The drive was a calm one as we listened to Ed Sheeran and John Legend sing about love. Love that both Liz and I never really experience as we both had shitty ex boyfriends.

"So you gonna tell me why you really went to Strenderville?" Liz asked lightly as she made a right turn.

I snapped my head in her direction, watching her in amusement as she drove.

"I told you, I was visiting a friend" I replied an awkward chuckle following.

It was no surprise to me that Liz saw through my lie. It must have been on her mind all week. Yet I wasn't going to do that to Zion. I wasn't going to tell Liz his business. Not without his permission at least.

"I know you're lying Ash and I'm really pissed you don't trust me enough to let me know what happened." She spat, pulling up at the entrance of the library to let me off.