27. His Distance

Ashlin

It had been a week since I got to talk to Zion. I was worried about him more than I'd ever been before. What If he wasn't doing too good? Who would be there to help him?

I promised him I'd be a shoulder to lean on. Yet I hadn't been able to carry that out to the fullest extent. Some would say I was trying too hard but I'd do anything to keep him safe. Safe from betrayal and save from his own thoughts as well.

I had never struggled the way Zion has before. I didn't know what it was like to want to take your own life. I didn't know what would push someone to the edge like that. Yet I wanted to know, I wanted to help. I wanted to be there.

I was out in the backyard reading, it had become my spot. As it was cool under the trees and I could be alone. I wanted to think and just comprehend what was going on within me. Beyond what everyone could see.

So I was sitting to myself with the book in my hand but my mind was elsewhere.

I was so caught up in my thoughts, I didn't see my mom come out back. She was off for this weekend, as her doctor had advised a break from work. Apparently when I was at school Friday, she fainted due to fatigue. So now she had no choice but to relax.

"Ashlin!" She shouted, dragging me from my thoughts in a shock.

Why was she yelling at me?

"I've been calling your name for a good minute young lady" she scolded and I realized I had spaced out.

I sat up in my chair and gave her a sheepish smile.

"Sorry" I offered, hoping she'd let it slide.

However, it was Daphne King and Daphne King hated letting things go.

"Why are you so out of it today?" She asked, sitting in the chair beside me.

It seemed we'd be having a conversation and really I didn't mind. It had been so long since we had a little chat. So I told her the truth.

" I'm worried about Zion mom, we haven't spoken in a week" I told her and I watched as her lips turned into a frown.

"Didn't he just win a big game? Why would you be worried about him?" She asked confused, as if a game was enough to make him happy and healthy.

"You don't get it mom but he needs me" I tried to explain without giving anything away.

Her frown turned into an even deeper one as she looked over at me and sighed.

"Honey, He doesn't need you. I know you're dating or whatever it is but he's not a child. He's a strong guy, a week is nothing to him. Stop stressing." She advised and I face palmed myself internally.

She thought I was obsessing over the boy but that wasn't the case at all. I was concerned about him because the 'strong guy' wasn't strong all the time. He may not look like it but he really did need someone right now.

At least until he could get some help for himself. Until he was comfortable seeing a therapist. I had to be there for him.

She must have seen the desperate look on my face because she sighed and got up.

"I'll give you the devices back" she began and my face lit up immediately.

She wasn't so cold after all. She didn't know why he needed me. Yet she must have realized how serious it was from the expression on my face. I was so happy she budged, I thanked her so many times.

"Just don't go running across the country without my permission." She added firmly and I quickly agreed.

"I promise" I assured and she gave me a smile before heading into the house.