31. Graduation

Ashlin

"Keep still!" Aunt Merlene ordered, as she repositioned my head to her desired angle.

She was giving me box braids for graduation and she had been at it for hours. She had started at 7 in the morning and it was now 10am. Which is why I had been moving around in the chair because my legs were cramped.

"Why is it taking so long?" I asked her and she hissed at my question.

"I haven't done this in a while child, so stop asking questions, plus I'm almost done" was her vague answer.

To which I rolled my eyes, forgetting she could see me from the mirror.

Big mistake...

Instantly I felt a burning pain from my shoulder. She had given me a good pinch for my actions. Regret was evident in my face as I tried to suppress tears from the burning.

"Don't roll those eyes at me, you think you're grown now!" She spat at me in a serious tone.

I did feel grown but I couldn't tell her that.

"No Aunt Merlene" I grumbled and she blew out an angry sigh then went back to doing my hair.

I tried to focus on everything but the pain and decided scrolling through my Instagram would be best. I watched a few stories and replied to my friends' messages. Then I caught up on whatever Zendaya was up to for the past month.

A few photos deep into Shawn Mendes' account, my mother entered the room.

"Oh my baby, it's been forever since you got braids, it looks great!" She spoke excitedly as she observed me.

Aunt Merlene only had two left to do, so I was grateful the torture was near it's end.

"Thanks mom" I replied to her and she smiled at me and found a nearby seat.

She kept looking at me in awe, as if I was the most precious thing on earth. Which was nice but also a bit unnerving. I couldn't stand having people stare at me.

"Hasn't she grown so fast Merlene?" My mom asked her eyes welling up with tears.

Aunt Merlene agreed with a head nod, that I was able to see thanks to the mirror. There was only one left for her to do now. I internally rejoiced at that, finally it would end.

" Daphne she is big now. I'm so proud of how you raised her. Big valedictorian!" Aunt Merlene spoke and I smiled at their words and happiness.

It was good making them proud, It felt good.

"Correction, Co-Valedictorian" I reminded them and my aunt scoffed.

She started on the last braid while my mom replied to my reminder.

"It doesn't matter, you're still Valedictorian and graduating at the top of your class. I couldn't be more proud! Plus my baby is going to Harvard in the next 2 months!" Mom rambled and I couldn't help but understand her excitement.

After all I was excited too.

After Claire had won the votes for Valedictorian, she spoke to the school board. She pitched the idea of having two Valedictorians, which they initially declined. Yet Claire didn't give up and somehow managed to convince them.

So now we were both going to give the Valedictorian speech.

Graduation was now upon us, so the time for the speech was drawing closer and closer. Which was making me nervous and jittery. Yet also elated and determined.

Around an hour later, mom and I were back at home. Where a heavily pregnant Gabriella was making cookies and cupcakes for me and my friends. She said it would be good to eat them after graduation as a taste of the sweet things ahead. Very nice of her although it was the first I was hearing something like that.