28. The Big Brawl

Ashlin

The sunset that Saturday evening was a beautiful one. As purple, pink and orange hues tangled together. Casting a beautiful glow on all that it touched. I watched it from the sidewalk of the Williams residence, as I waited for Ryan to pick me up.

Jake had offered to drop me home but I had declined the offer. Something about driving in a car alone with him, after his confession felt unappealing. I couldn't feel more disgusted by him and Claire at this point.

Apparently they had been sneaking around again. Which was bad enough but they had done so irresponsibly. Now Claire was pregnant and you'd think Jake was obviously the father. However that wasn't the case as far as any of us knew.

Claire had a boyfriend, who went to another school and so she was two timing the fellow with Jake. Now she had no clue which of the two was the father of her child. I would've loved to say she was a sl*t but I wasn't going to be that person.

I wasn't in her shoes, I had no idea what led her to do what she did. I didn't understand her at all. Yet she must have had some twisted reason to have fallen in this mess. I wasn't going to judge her, I could only hope she figured out her mess. At least for the baby's sake.

Jake was convinced it wasn't his but he did infact sleep with her without protection. So it really was a fifty fifty situation. I was disgusted by him because he spoke about it so casually as if this was an everyday situation for him.

Of course I had to accept the reality that my friend lied to all of our group. I had to accept that he had went behind our backs once again and got himself tied up with Claire. Yet that wasn't the worse of it.

Claire who was the center of it all, had decided it was a great time to confess her undying love for Jake. Telling me she had loved him from the days we were all best friends. That Jake knew about it and took advantage of her feelings. That even though he didn't reciprocate her feelings he still wanted to mess around with her.

According to her she had tried to end their secret affairs when she got a boyfriend but Jake kept pulling her back in.

I had wanted to just go home at that moment but it got worse. Claire had revealed something that I wished Jake would deny but he'd only held his head down at her words. She had told me that the real reason Jake hadn't reciprocate her feelings was because he was into someone else.

That someone being me.

Which made a whole lot of sense considering how he was always protective of me. Always staring at me at random moments. Always finding time, despite football practice to hang out with me. Plus our friends were always hinting at it.

Yet it made no sense because he flirted with girls right next to me. He was known for sleeping around. Plus he was sneaking around with Claire behind my back.

Now the worse part of this whole ordeal was how I felt. I felt nothing but friendly love for him. Infact I'd never felt attracted to him ever before. It had always been Shiro for me.

My eyes were always glued on Shiro. To the point I had no time to see who was into me or who wasn't. Now I didn't even know if I could look at Jake the same with everything aired out.

I still wanted to be there for him as his friend. I didn't plan on abandoning our friendship. However I wasn't going to be as warm around him either. I needed to give him space to get rid of his feelings for me and to sort through the mess with Claire.

He needed to get answers concerning him being the father. He needed to to get ready for finals. Plus he also needed to come clean to his brother and the rest of our friends.