06. Goodbye For Now

Ashlin

Zion had started his story from the beginning and I sat quietly, listening to his every word.

" Gabe and I met when he moved to Castle Ridge, about two miles from Cidshore. Infact that's where my Parents and I lived too before I had to stay with my aunt. I immediately befriended him when I realized we had a lot in common, like football and even the same super hero and ice-cream flavor. As we grew older our bond got even stronger, we were in separable. Finally we got to highschool and joined the football team, we were the greatest duo. " He paused at that, his voice fading at the end.

I could tell he was having a hard time remembering the good times. So I placed my hand atop his and urged him to go on. Which he did, looking at me with something foreign in his Eyes.

"Then of course, something had to go wrong. As I was the quarterback, I worked my ass off day and night to keep fit and to be on top of my game. Little did I know that was causing the coach to favor me over everyone else. Little did I know that that would grab the eyes of everyone in the school. Yet I never expected Gabe to be jealous, I never thought a friend could despise another over something like that. " He continued.

"Long story short, Gabe was jealous of all the attention I was getting and I didn't know. Sophomore year of highschool was when I got a glimpse of his Jealousy as he told our coach I wasn't fit for the position of captain . As my mom had left that summer and I was a wreck. What he did didn't bother me much, as I had managed to get the one girl everyone wanted, Penelope. She was super popular, with gorgeous red hair and light green eyes. Freckles scattered across her face but it only added to her appeal. I was shocked she accepted me and was a shoulder to lean on when my Aunt was pestering me about seeing the good in life. Yet it all came crashing down a month ago.

We had just celebrate our 1 year anniversary the week prior to what I saw that dreadful day. It was a rainy day after school and I went in search of Penelope, as I was her ride home. I couldn't find her and so I asked her friends if she had left. According to them she just went to the bathroom and said she'd be back in 10minutes. So I did what any sensible boyfriend would do, I went to the hall where the bathrooms were and waited between the door to the girl's bathroom and the boy's bathroom."

He took some time to catch his breath, as he was right...it was a long story and a sad one.

"you don't have to continue if-" He cut me off before I could finish.

"I want to get it all off my chest" He assured, so i let him finish.

" So yeah, I waited for her but I was surprised to see her emerge from the boy's restroom. She was fixing her hair, her back turned to me but when she turned around I knew what had happened. As her eyes went wide and panic began to set in her green eyes. Yet what almost gave me a heart attack was when I saw who came out right after. It was Gabe and he looked just as shocked as Penelope. I wanted to lash out I really did but instead, I smiled and told them to live a happy life because for me and Penelope it was over. They blew up my phone that whole week but I avoided them like the plague. I even skipped school the whole week. So due to that Coach gave Gabe Captain as I was apparently 'unreliable' and Penelope started dating Gabe." He finished, his voice heavy with sorrow.

I may not have met Gabe or Penelope but one thing was for sure...they were going to pay one day. What they did was sick and Zion didn't need to go through that. Life would catch up to them for sure, it was only a matter of time.

I pulled Zion into a hug, which seemed to be slowly turning into a 'thing' for us.

He sighed as he rested his head gently on my shoulder and I felt something wet as he did so. He was crying and that made me also want to cry but I stayed strong for him. As he let his vulnerability shine through.