20. A Huge Risk

Ashlin

It was 5:45pm, I was stood at the gates of Cidshore High. The Sun was setting, casting a beautiful evening glow on the very modern looking building. It was nothing like St. Valdire as our school looked quite ancient but well kept non the less.

This was my first time seeing the place up close and I felt a bit of jealousy. I could only imagine how amazing their science labs looked. I'd have to get a tour of the place some day.

As for now...

I only had one mission, to make it to the football field. Practice usually ends at 6 or 6:30 for Zion. With how big the school was I prayed I'd find it without getting lost.

There were only a few vehicles in the school's parking lot. Which was a clear give away 3/4 of the school population as well as staff members, had already left. So it was mostly Cidshore's sports teams that were on campus.

As if to answer my prayers, A tall hulky boy stepped through the double doors at the front and made his way to a sleek sports car. He seemed familiar but I couldn't pin point where I had seen him before. I decided to approach him in hopes of getting directions to the football field.

He didn't notice me coming towards him at all. It wasn't until I called to him that he stopped digging around in his car and turned to me. At first he seemed confused.

Then after observing me for a few seconds, his face lit up.

Recognition

How weird it was to see a complete stranger recognize you.

"Ashley!" He greeted loudly as if we were old time pals.

I gave him a blank stare because I absolutely hated when people messed up my name.

"It's Ashlin and do I ... know you?" I asked and face palmed himself as if I'd said something he should've known earlier.

"Right, Right! You have no idea who I am!" He replied, more to himself than to me but still loudly.

"I'm Holden, Zion's teammate" he introduced, extending an arm to me.

I shook it, now having an idea of how he knew me.

It must have been from the Raid, the article had gone viral online. So at least one person would be able to recognize me from the cover. For I was certain Zion hadn't spoken about me to anyone, so it had to be the article for sure.

"Nice to meet you Holden, um... could you by any chance direct me to the football field?" I asked as politely as I could.

He wiped some sweat off his forehead before he answered.

"Of course, I was actually heading back right now" he replied, smiling a broad smile, as if I'd made his day.

Holden then resumed digging around in his car. Then emerged once more with a Snickers bar. I almost laughed at the whole thing but I restrained myself.

"Let's go" he instructed, as he locked his car and stepped around me.

Without a word, I followed behind him. He lead me through the double doors that opened up to a massive hall with lockers lining the walls. The hall was extremely long but Holden seemed used to it as he effortlessly walked down the path.

I tried to keep up with him by speed walking but when I almost tripped I decided it was useless trying to match strides with an athlete. So I just kept up enough to watch the turns he would make. He took a right turn at the end of the hall and I followed.

We were going down a flight of stairs and when we reached the bottom, I could see the football field out in the distance over the railings. We seemed to be high above ground and by the look of the rooms we were passing, we were on another part of the school. Probably a hall for the music students.