24. The Game

Ashlin

Beeeepppp!!

Went my annoying alarm that Tuesday morning. I had tried to smack it so many times but it wouldn't turn off. So I was forced to roll over and grab it, fumbling with the buttons a little before It finally stopped blaring.

6:30am

That was the time, a bit early but it was necessary that day. For it was finally the day of the biggest game of the season. St Valdire was going up against the one and only Cidshore High. So everyone was nervous, mostly because Cidshore was always the ones that knocked us out of having any shot at the finals.

You could say Cidshore was St Valdire's biggest rivals. Yet Cidshore only saw us as a tiny problem, like a bug stuck to the bottom of their shoe. We'd always put up a fight but somehow our team managed to get crushed every year.

It was so bad we were on a streak of Cidshore's wins vs St Valdire's and as you guess St Valdire stood at a very embarrassing zero. Making the streak 15:0. Meaning we had been getting our butts kicked for 15 years. It was awful but we held hope to one day emerge victorious.

Luckily for our school, our team was looking better than ever this season. As Jake was the captain of the team and worked his butt off to keep his teammates on point. So I was confident that we had a shot at winning. Infact I believed we had a 30% chance of winning.

It may sound bad to others but last year we only had a 11% chance. So we would work with the 30 this time around. Everyone from school, well at least the people who liked supporting sports teams, had gotten T-shirts to support.

Which meant a great profit for the art club; who got them designed, printed and priced.

So in the midst of supporting our team, other clubs and sports ventures were getting some recognition. It was a win win. So in the midst of all the school spirit... why did I feel weird?

I felt caught between two of my favorite people. On one hand there was my good friend Jake, best friend if you crossed out him sleeping with Claire behind everyone's back like 2 years ago. Then on the other hand was Zion, my new friend or whatever we were because it was complicated.

I felt like I needed to give Zion some support, yet how I'd do that was still a mystery.

So I just decided to do what I usually did each year. Get up early to get my hair done flawlessly, find a nice pair of jeans to go with my T-shirt and do my makeup as close to our school's colors as possible. It was a big thing at our schools for us to be in full school colors for the big game.

So all the girls normally match their makeup, jewelry and hair accessories as best as possible.

After I finished getting dressed and doing my make up, I sat before the mirror for a little while. I looked cute, with my two big afro puffs that had blue and white clips in them. I looked liked someone that adored Football and was filled with the school spirit.

Yet in honesty I had no idea what was the difference between a linebacker and a quarter back. I was more of a Soccer girl and often spent ridiculous amounts of time watching Messi and Neymar edits on YouTube. If I got the chance to play soccer I would gladly take it.

Unfortunately, our school had a swim team, a tennis team, a basketball team, a cricket team, a football team, a track team etc. Yet no soccer team, how disappointing. So I was forced to be in other clubs instead.

After looking in the mirror for a while, I finally felt pleased enough to get up and get to the kitchen. Where my nutritious breakfast was waiting, courtesy of Gabriella. Who dispite being pregnant, woke up early to cook  for me and my lazy brother.