19. 16 Missed Calls

Ashlin

The bags under my eyes weren't Chanel, no, they were garbage bags. Big, fat and dark garbage bags.I looked like trash in all honesty.

I had been up all night waiting for Zion to call me. Yet he didn't and I tried to find excuses as to why he hadn't. Like maybe his phone died? Maybe he was just too tired? Maybe he had something important come up and he had no time...

Yet the aftermath of my talk with Ryan, made me jump to the the worse conclusions.

He had either brought home one of the volleyball girls or he had just had enough of me.

The latter for sure!

My inner thoughts screamed and I tried to make myself smaller as I maneuvered my way to my first class.
Deciding it was best not to let my friends see me for the day. They'd start to worry and ask too many questions, which I wasn't up for ...I was tired.

As I arrived at the door of Miss Lawrence's Physics class, I pulled the strings of my hoodie tighter. Then I thought better of it and threw it off my head. She would make an example out of me for wearing my hood up in her class.

Sighing in defeat I pushed the door open.

A wave of relief instantly hit me, as there were only a few students in class so far. Miss Lawrence hadn't even made it as yet and so I dragged my body down to the back of the classroom. Aiming to hide from the world there for the time being.

Around 10 minutes later, when everyone was inside and seated. Miss Lawrence waltzed in with a huge smile on her face. I instantly rolled my eyes, her happiness meant loads of question and answers and I really wasn't in the mood.

"Good morning everyone" she greeted the room of disinterested Seniors.

They all returned the greetings, sounding like an untalented choir.

I almost laughed at them but I refrained.

I just wanted to lay low until the end of class.

Yet of course, Miss Didn't allow that to happen.

"Where is Miss King?" She suddenly asked, looking at my usual middle row seat, that a girl named Stacy occupied.

Everyone turned to look at me and I gave her a little wave awkwardly.

"Oh" she commented, observing me a bit too long for my liking.

"Miss King, Could you please explain to the class what friction is in your own words?" She asked, putting me on the spot because in her eyes I always knew what she was talking about.

Even when everyone else didn't.

So many eyes were on me and I was certain I heard a few whispers. I felt naseous, really really naseous. So I held my head down and answered.

"I'm not sure, I haven't reach that far in my studies."

The whole class went silent, as if I'd said the world was ending.

Jeez, I was going to study friction last night. Yet something happened, which included me getting no sleep and little studying done. It wasn't much of a big deal.

"Ok Miss King, Mr Cones would you like to explain?"

........................................

I knew if I skipped Lunch, Liz and Gabriana would hunt me down. They would cause a scene wherever they found me and I wouldn't be too pleased with that. Yet I couldn't let them see me like this. The dark circles were prominent, the messy bun wasn't even a bun anymore and I hardly wore hoodies to school.