04. Stranger To The Rescue

Zion

I didn't know what possessed me to kick the mirrors on the back porch. In fact I had cherished their odd placement, for it was the first time I'd seen mirrors on backyard walls. My Aunt had said she loved to see her reflection from the pool. She was a very weird woman but I loved her all the more. Thank God she was now resting in peace or I would've been in for an ear full.

One minute I was thinking of the incident that occured on Friday....the next, I was kicking my aunt's beautiful mirrors.

You could say I wasn't too pleased by the image of my ex and ex-bestfriend  kissing. Especially when the image kept popping up randomly a whole day after it all occurred. Well 2 days after it occurred because it was now Sunday and the sun was already setting.

In my attempt to clean up the mess, I had cut myself and it wasn't a little cut...In fact it was pretty ugly. Looking around frantically for something that would stop the bleeding, I pin pointed an old rag, it was hung on the fence that separated my aunt's house from the neighbor's. Making my way over to the only piece of cloth in sight, I paused midway.

There was a bit of rustling coming from the side of the house. Which I found strange as my dog Vince was out on his evening stroll, searching for company. Yeah he was a very busy dog, one I found hard to control. Yet I'd never give him up as he was a gift from my dad.

I was drawn from my thoughts about Vince; back to the sound as it seemed to be getting closer. Then the rustling suddenly stopped. So I made an attempt to check on what it could be but I stopped in my tracks at the sight of an unknown girl staring straight at me.

Well more specifically my hand. My hand that was bleeding all over the grass on which I stood. I was confused, why in the world was there a strange girl in my back yard?

More importantly why was she in her sleep attire?

Before I could say anything to the girl. She came marching over to me. Grabbing my bleeding hand in one graceful move, to inspect my injury.

I pulled my hand away from her as if she had burnt me. Who the hell was she? That was what was important in this moment, not my hand.

"Who the hell are you?" I asked firmly, a bit of edge to my voice.

She seemed a bit embarrassed. As if just now realizing how weird it was to walk into someone's backyard and then proceed to touch them without permission. She then reached into her shorts pocket and took something out. Now I was even more confused by her. Did all girls have secret pockets on their sleep wear? And why in the world was she now holding my blue envelope?

"For some reason this letter was mailed to me instead of the person it was intended for and I'm here to see the person who wrote it. Which I'm guessing is you..." She explained, causing me to get an understanding of why she was here.

So mom never got the letter......

"Did you read it?" I asked, my voice a bit low.

I already knew the answer. She wouldn't have been here if she hadn't read it. I was just hoping she didn't read more than the first line. I had gone really indepth in that stupid letter.

"I read everything word" she confirmed, her voice now soft. It was one of both warmth and concern.

"Are you Zion?" She asked, although it was obvious who I was from my behavior.

"Yeah" I answered awkwardly, genuinely unsure of what to say.

She didn't really react to my revelation. Instead she grabbed my hand again, reinspecting my injury. Then she did something unexpected, so unexpected it caused me to look at her in utter shock.