14. The Barbeque Begins

Ashlin

The next morning I woke up around 10:35am. Ryan, Alysia and I had spent the whole night decorating, while mom bonded with Gabriella over cookies and milk. I didn't remember how hard it was to spend hours on your feet but boy did the decorating remind me. To make matters worse the whole time I was thinking about Zion.

Worrying about his well being, his state of mind and what was the stupid thing he said he had done. Yet I didn't have my phone or anything to contact him. Which is also the reason why I woke up late. As I didn't have a digital clock to wake me up, I usually use my ipad. So the lack of devices caused me to sleep in.

Usually I'd be at the barbeque by 10:30am. As I had to help greet people as they came in, plus I was in charge of keeping the kids busy as well. So you can tell how much I panicked when I made myself breakfast thinking it was about 9am, only for the kitchen clock to read 11:15am.

"Shit! Shit! Shit!" I cursed as I realized how late I was going to be.

I could already hear Alysia whisper yelling at me in a corner. As she would be the one to greet the guests in my absence. If I didn't make it by 12, she'd be even more pissed. She hated children and that was the time I usually took care of the kids.

Gulping down the ginger tea I had made and gobbling the pancakes quickly, I then washed the things I had used. Scrubbing the dish as fast as I could, I then rinsed it and went to my room.

I had no idea what to wear, as I had nothing that screamed 'Roses & Thorns'. Pushing through my closet I searched the numerous articles of clothing I had. Nothing seemed good enough.

I groaned in frustration, as I regretted spending such little time shopping the day before. I should've bought a nice dress with roses on it. Yet that was the past and now was the present. I had to find something that would do.

Then I remembered the dress my Dad had gifted me last Christmas. I was sure it had a rose on it. Spotting the black box on the top shelf, I stretched as much as I could and grabbed it.

I then made my way over to my bed and sat down. Opening the box quickly, I took the dress out. It was a Long sleeved dress that was tight at the top but flowy at the bottom. It had roses around the waist area and it was absolutely stunning. It was a black dress but the roses were gold and it would go well with any shoes I'd pick. It was literally perfect.

So I placed it flat on the bed and ran to the bathroom to take a quick shower and wash my hair. Then I got dressed, combed my hair and slicked it back into a low bun. I left two curls at the front to give the style an edge, then I quickly did a light makeup look. Lastly I slipped on my black sandals and placed some gold accessories in my hair to bring out the roses on the dress.

As I looked in the mirror, I smiled proudly at myself. I looked amazing in my opinion and that was all I needed. As long as I pleased myself, I knew I could leave the house in confidence. So I did just that and made my way over to the Denver's residence.

The front yard was filled with cars, and even more went in a line down our neighborhood's street. It was obvious the barbeque had long begun as I could hear the music playing loudly. Indicating the event was in full swing. I absolutely dreaded the moment Alysia would see me. She was going to be pissed for sure.

It was definitely pass 12 pm, So Alysia was probably pulling the hairs out of her scalp.

I walked up to the front door briskly and rang the bell. Yet it was obvious no one would hear over the music. So I turned the knob and invited myself in. The grand hall was as clean and tidy as ever. The floor sparkled and shined, ensuring we all knew it was clean.