23. A Fair Fight

Ashlin

It was Monday, a very hot and draining one to be more clear. I know all Mondays could be draining but this one was just different. I could tell the day was going to be hard to get through.

After I had encountered Ellen and her family that Saturday, I resorted to hiding in my room. I didn't want her to even get another glimpse of me.
As our little talk was enough to let me know she'd want to get answers about Zion out of me. From Zion's side of things, I knew they hadn't seen each other in a while. They were also not on the best terms and I didn't want to be caught up in this anymore than I already had been.

Which is why I hadn't gone outside until Monday morning for school.

Now here I was at lunch, sat with my group of friends, discussing the upcoming games and events we'd seen on the school's announcement board in the hall. As the school semester was coming to a close, summer was drawing near and nearer. Which was the cause of the heat and the draining feeling.

Finals were closer than ever and we were all hoping the sleepless nights of studying would be enough to get into a good tertiary institution. I had even gotten a few extra roles in different clubs to boost my chance of getting into an Ivy league school. I hadn't even read the letter from Harvard because I had been so preoccupied and I had a bad feeling it wasn't going have good news.

After all, I did apply early... way before I could get my finals grades submitted. Yet my grades from the previous semester were great and those were what I had used. So there was no reason to doubt right?
I knew I was just really nervous with everything going on. So I decided the best way to handle it was to read the letter when I got home that day.

It had been put off for far too long and I couldn't run from it forever.

"So guess who got the role as the princess in the Drama Clubs final play!" Elizabeth cheered and I immediately looked over at Gabriana with disbelief.

"No way!" I exclaimed, causing a few heads to turn in our direction.

Yet I didn't care, my friend got the role.

"It's not a huge deal" Gabriana replied, trying to play it cool.

Liz and I weren't having it and we engulfed her into a big celebratory hug.

The boys also joined in and gave her fist bumps, with big smiles on their faces. They knew how much she wanted the role. Plus it was common knowledge that scouts would be at the show. Which meant she could be scouted by major management and talent companies.

As well as getting a shot at Julliard.

"So how did you knock out Claire for the lead role? I heard she had ties in high places to establish her spot" Jacob asked, which was a good question.

After all, Claire Miller had been the leading lady of half our school plays from the moment she joined theatre club and took up Drama as a course. She had the acting gigs on a chokehold. Plus her popularity and connection always proved to be a bonus when candidates were being considered for major roles.

Claire was tall, slim, blonde with a rectangular shaped body. Although she didn't have your typical curvy hourglass figure she still had the boys on their knees. Her face was killer, green eyes, straight european nose and full cherry colored lips. Her hair was vanilla blonde and bone straight and she walked with a confidence that could not be beat.

She had three best friends, Stacy, Trisha and my neighbor Alysia. Together they were the 'IT GIRLS' of our school. Claire wasn't the leader of the group but she was the closest to the leader which automatically made her second in command.