11. Headlines

Ashlin

It was the morning after all the excitement, as the Raid was long over. I had woke up with a pounding headache and I was having the worst hair day. I had showered, washed my hair and got dressed for the day. Yet my hair made me flinch as I knew the task at hand. Sitting around my vanity mirror, I tried my best to somewhat comb through the tangles but after minutes of no progress, I gave up on trying to fix it and threw it into the messiest topknot I'd ever seen.

Although I looked like a wild animal and my head felt like it would explode, I made my way down stairs. I wasn't going to miss the aftermath of the Raid, I had to see how bad the damages were. Gabriella greeted me with the warmest of smiles. As she moved around the kitchen table to place my breakfast at my usual seat. She was in sweats and an oversized shirt but she still managed to look gorgeous. Even with a bit of chocolate at the corner of her mouth.

Throwing her a small greeting in return, I sat down to eat. One thing about me, I love food and never missed a chance to eat. So I wasn't going to let the pounding in my head stop me from devouring the omelette she had made with hot chocolate tea. I might have said it a thousand times but Ryan really hit the Jackpot with Gabriella.

She was kind, gorgeous and cooked the most tasty things.

Ryan better not mess this up for US.

...........................

Around 10am, I was in the nurse's office. As my headache had become unbearable. To the point where I couldn't focus on Mr Baron as he recited a poem by a famous poet. My vision became blurry as well which was the last sign I took to stop straining myself.

So I was now sat before the nurse, who gave me the most disappointed look. It was obvious what she was going to say. So I sighed and avoided her eyes. The office was pretty bland, with dreary grey and white walls. So it was hard to find something to distract my eyes.

"Ashlin, why did you come to school?" She began, asking the very question I expected but I had no suitable answer to give.

"Listen, I'm going to phone home and let them know you're not feeling well, then I'll give you a painkiller and some water. You know the rules Ashlin... don't come to school when you're sick" she rambled but I could care less about the rules.

"I know, It won't happen again. Just please don't call home. I just need the painkiller and some rest. I'll be good in two hours" I begged her, not wanting to disturb my mom who was in another country.

They didn't have Ryan's number and I wasn't going to be the one to give them. In fact I wanted them out of my personal life. There was no need to worry my family over a stupid headache. Plus knowing mom, she'd probably phone dad as soon as she heard.

"Alright Miss King, I'll let it go this once. I'll give you three hours to rest. " She agreed, adding an hour unto my request.

"Now take this and grab a bottle of water on your way to the back room." She instructed, holding out the painkillers I needed to take.

I took them gratefully and made my way to the back room to lie down. Thank God she didn't ignore my request. Mom would have surely eaten me alive, as she always reminded me health came first. Plus I didn't want her brain drifting off to speculations as she was already mad I had gone to Strenderville without telling her.

After I grabbed the water bottle, I plopped down in the little bed and ripped open the blue packet that held the pain killers. I then threw them into my mouth and proceeded to drink the water to wash them down. After taking three big gulps of the water, I carefully laid my head on the flat pillow and let sleep engulf me.