34. Good News, Bad News

Zion

The morning after graduation, I woke up feeling like a train had ran over me. Stretching to relieve some of the aches in my body, I sighed. This was not it, why was my joints aching?

I did my best to get up and start my day. Yet every step I took felt painful. At first I had just thought it wasn't anything to worry about. Then it happened, so sudden I was caught by surprise. I became dizzy and the next thing I knew I was toppling over on my bedroom floor.

I laid there for a good 3 minutes. Trying to control my thoughts and digging through memories that would help to explain what was happening. Had I done drugs or some shit last night? No, that wasn't possible.

I was alone last night binge watching Outer Banks.

Plus I'd never done drugs all my life. Infact I saw what it did to Penelope's older brother. Who was now in rehab trying to recover from his addiction. So I had sworn never to try it, as well as Penny and Gabe. Back then we did everything together.

So if it wasn't drugs I had no idea what it could be.

Then it went away, after a few minutes of joint pain and dizziness. It was weird to say the least and I'd never experienced something like that before. Which was why I had to go to the doctor. I needed to know what it was since I was no longer thrilled with the idea of dying.

If this was months ago, before I met Ashlin... I would have hoped it was a sign. A sign of a life threatening disease or something. I would gladly beg to die. Yet here I was as if a new person.

It's like my whole perspective shifted.

I did get the voices in my head trying to pull me back to the darkness. Yet I was fighting back. Letting them know they wouldn't come between seeing my Dad open his eyes again. That they wouldn't come between going to Ohio State and most importantly... Ashlin King. They would not come between Ashlin finally being mine when I got the help I needed.

Who was this person?

I internally asked myself.

I was more and more surprised with my growth each day. I was reigning in my thoughts, taking control. Seeing ahead into a bright future and not just looking at the complicated and gloomy present.

So I found myself sitting outside of a doctor's office, waiting for my name to be called.

The bench I sat on was as hard as a rock. I felt uncomfortable and anxious. What if they said I only had 2 days to live?

How would I be able to deal with that?

As if to drag me out of my overthinking. I heard my name being put on blast over the intercom. So I got up and made my way into Doctor Bennett's office.

The man, who had not one follicle of hair on his head, greeted me kindly.
To which I returned a greeting of my own. Then I was instructed to sit on a chair in the corner of the office.

Gladly, I sat in the soft padded chair and awaited his questions.

"So Mr Atkins! What brings you in today?" Mr Bennett asked and I sighed heavily.

He was speaking a bit loudly as if he was deaf or he thought I was deaf.

"Well, this morning I woke up with joint aches. The pain made it hard to get out of bed but I still managed to get up. Only to become dizzy and topple over." I revealed, telling him the details exactly how I remembered it.

"You said this happened this morning?" Doctor Bennett asked a single brow raised in doubt.

"Yeah, It was this morning " I confirmed and he nodded and got his notepad.