05. A Stranger To Confide In

Ashlin

After Zion and I had hugged, we conversed in the living room. It was a short talk and I tried to comfort him with words I didn't know I could muster. Yet when you're faced with serious situations in life, you go above and beyond. So as it was practically night, Zion and I decided it would be best I stayed in the guestroom.

No, I did not ask to sleep in his room. So don't get the wrong Idea, I was going to stay at a nearby motel. Being that he'd have to give me the address and directions, we figured it would be easier to stay at his house.

After all that was finalized, I borrowed the house phone to contact my mom. I knew I was in for a long argument but letting her know I was ok was the important thing. For I was sure Mrs Denver had already informed her about my hurried exit from town with her car.

My mom had cursed a whole bunch and let me off with a 'this conversation isn't over' before returning to work. I had ended the call with a sigh and went to bed immediately after. I didn't even care that I hadn't shower at all that day. I just wanted to rest, to rest my mind and my heart.

The next morning, I woke up from a long slumber. The Sun was already high in the sky and birds were chirping in the tree by the window. Everything seemed like a scene from a movie, as I rubbed my eyes to adjust them to the light. Yawning and stretching I caught a glimpse of a sun dress hung over the chair in the left corner of the room. A note was also stuck unto it and I smiled at the realization that Zion left it there.

Throwing the covers to the side, I walked over to the chair and retrieved the note from the dress.

" Found this in my aunt's closet, have a shower and search for anything else you might need to wear in her room. It's the room at the end of the hall, she had some new stuff in there" ~ Zion

It was a simple note but I felt so proud. It was obvious he was raised well, despite all he'd been through. Zion would definitely be the guy to offer his hoodie to a girl, if a period incident ever occurred. God knows we need more men like that in this world. Which is why I was going to do everything I could to ensure he never thinks of suicide ever again.

I had a warm shower in the little guest bathroom and threw on the dress afterwards. Then I made my way to his aunt's room to get some under garments, because there was no way I was going to walk around the house in just a dress. The dress was a bit big on me, which made me skeptical as to whether the other stuff I needed would fit. Yet I continued to his aunt's room.

His Aunt's room was well organized and you could tell she loved to read, as there was a massive bookshelf on the wall by her bed.  Luckily her stuff were labelled, for as soon as I opened her closet...I located the underwear section. It felt weird going through a dead woman''s underwear box but life in itself was a weird thing.

What I found at the bottom of the box, cemented my belief in fate. As there was an unopened pack of underwear in my exact size. The pack had 'To Be Returned' in neat hand writing , which led me to believe she may have accidentally bought them in the wrong size.  Wow, that was hella suspicious...It was as if they were waiting for me.

My mind ran on Zion, as I wondered why he left a note instead of telling me himself. Then I remembered it was Monday, which meant he had school. Plus his letter did say he played a sport, which I'm guessing would be football. So he'd have practice early in the morning.

Then it hit me....SCHOOL!

Shit! I forgot about school.

I quickly ran to the kitchen to check the clock that I saw above the fridge the evening before. The clock read 8:30 am, which meant my first class would start in half an hour. I never miss school, so I knew my best friends Jake and Jacob would be worried sick about me. Not to mention it was my day to present my Essay to the class, Mr Baron was going to kill me for sure. He had warned us that we'd lose marks for presenting late. So you can tell I was worked up, for I wanted an A in that presentation. I definitely needed to call one of the boys. So I did just that and on the 3rd ring Jacob answered.