35. Closure

Zion

I stood confused, as my dad laid unconscious. He wasn't awake...so why did Patrice act so weird? Why was Ellen even here? I had so many questions that had no answers.

"Zion, you're here early" someone spoke from behind.

I turned to see the doctor who had been assigned to my Dad for the past 2, going on to 3 years.

"I thought he was awake Dave" I spoke, turning to face my Dad again.

I heard Dr Michaels sigh, then he was suddenly standing beside me. He was observing my Dad as well. Yet I knew he had something to say.

"What is it Dave? What do you have to say?" I asked him, not at all thrilled with his silence.

He turned to walk away and I followed closely behind him. I knew he was heading to his office so we would have some privacy. Which made me believe we had a heavy topic to discuss.

When we got into the office at the end of the hall, he locked the door.

"Have a seat" he instructed and I complied.

"Your mother came in earlier" he revealed but I had already seen her.

So it wasn't news to me.

"Your Dad actually woke up about half an hour ago." He revealed and my eyes widened.

"What? How?" I asked confused.

He was now unconscious, what could have happened in the span of 30 minutes?

"Well he woke up, he was happy to see your mom. He asked for you, we gave him some water. Then next thing we know he fell asleep. Not back into a coma, just asleep. To which I was puzzled but it happens. He's ok Zion, he remembers everything and he'll be able to leave next week." He explained as briefly as he could.

I sighed heavily.

"Who called Ellen?" I asked calmly.

He gave me a guilty look and that answered my question.

"Why?" I asked and he sighed.

"Zion as much as I've gotten close to you over the years. I'm still a doctor and Mr Romiro was the one paying for medical bills. So I had to contact him, to which he sent your mom over to discuss the details with me." He answered honestly and I scoffed.

All for money, how disgusting.

Yet I did understand that he was a working man with a wife and a baby on the way.

"Well I guess I should prepare to have him home next week. I'm going to go fetch some clothes for him to have when he's awake again." I spoke, ignoring his whole revelation of Romiro  paying the bills etc.

Then I stood up and unlocked the door.

"Try to sort things out with your mom, at least for your Dad's sake." Dr Michaels spoke and I opened the door without answering and left.

My intention was to hurry home and get some of my clothes. As Dad's clothes were all the way at our old house. The one we use to be a family on with Ellen. Yet all that place did now was cause me heartache.

I didn't know what to think, so I kept my mind blank while I drove. I was afraid the bad thoughts would resurface. I mean it was bad enough Dad was happy to see Ellen. The poor man had no idea what she did when he was unconscious.

He was going to be devastated when he was fully awake and I'd have to tell him everything.

She was the love of his life, how was he going to manage it?