17. Brother's Advice

Ashlin

I was smiling for days, after the night of the barbeque. Nothing could shake me, nothing could get me down. Not even the whispers at school. Not even Shiro suddenly dating Alysia. I was walking around on cloud 9 and everyone could see it. Even my family could see it but no one dared to ask what had caused it and I was grateful.

I wouldn't be able to explain it. What Zion and I had was nothing I could explain. We weren't even official but I'd already claimed him in my heart. It sounds cheesy but he brought out the cheesiness in me.

My mom had given me my devices back early, as she had apparently spoken to Zion. She said she met him at the barbeque and he wasn't half bad. I was so happy because her approval was everything to me. Plus I got to talk to Zion again.

We FaceTimed each other every night, voice called every morning and snapped each other during the day. It got to a point where I felt like it was just us two in our own little world.

It had been two weeks since the Barbeque.

I was sat in my English class writing an essay, when my teacher called me up to her desk.

I was a bit confused, as this was unusual for me.

"Yes miss?" I asked as I stood before her.

"Someone's here to see you, so make your way to the main office" she instructed and I thanked her then gathered my belongings and left.

On my way to the main office, I wondered who it could be. I wished it was Zion, come to surprise me...yet I knew better. He had school and practice, he was too busy.

Entering the fancy looking building, which was known as the main office...I scanned the hall. A gasp left my mouth as My eyes landed on my father. He had a small smile on his face but it didn't reach his eye, I ignored that however as I ran to hug him. I hadn't seen him in weeks and calls could not compare to physical contact.

"Princess"he greeted, returning my hug and rubbing my head.

"I missed you" I blurted into his chest as he was taller than me.

I had gotten more of my mom's genes, hence my height.

"Me too Ash, me too" he spoke as we made our way to a bench.
I looked at him expectantly as we sat down. As I was waiting for him to reveal his reason for being here.

"I'm taking you somewhere today. So you'll be leaving school early. I must warn you we have a long talk ahead of us." He explained, a speck of something in his eyes but I couldn't put my finger on what.

"Ok" was my simple answer as I smiled at him but this time he didn't return it.

The drive to the mystery location was an awkward one. Dad remained silent the whole drive. His face was emotionless as if he was afraid to show any signs of what was going on in his mind.  I'd never seen him like that before and so I was a bit scared.

To make matters worse the location turned out to be a Cemetery.

As he parked at the entrance, I gave him a puzzled look and he motioned for me to get out of the car. So I did, as much as I was sketched out I trusted him. He must have a reason to take me here, I thought.

We walked for a while through the Cemetery, until we made it to a headstone that read Fidel King. Which I recognized as my grandfather's name. He had died a year before I was born and he was a well known Doctor. Those were the few things I knew about him.

So I was curious as to why we were at his grave.

"It's hard losing a parent" My Dad began with a heavy sigh and I knew we were about to have a serious conversation.