22. A small world

Ashlin

It was the weekend and I was back at home after spending a night at Zion's house. After we'd had breakfast that morning, I took a shower and got dressed. Then we shared a little talk before he drove me to the train station.

Our parting was a bit dismal. After all we had such a calm time with each other. Yet we could find solace in knowing we'd keep in touch.

I hadn't heard from him since then, as my mom had taken my devices as the penalty.

I'd already warned Zion that it would happen. So it wasn't as devastating as the first time she did it. So now I was in the backyard re-reading divergent and munching on pineapple slices.

It was a cool afternoon, or maybe it was just the shade of the tree that made it cool. Nonetheless I was relaxed and had nothing but the events unfolding in the story on my mind. I was at peace with the world.

Ryan and Gabriella had gone to the doctor's office for checkups. Mom was at work and wouldn't be back until late in the night. Dad was out on some business and hence I was alone.

Normally, I hated the thought of being home alone. Especially in our huge house which could be creepy at these times. However I wasn't inside, I was outside and near to the wall that separated our yard from the neighbor's. So I felt safe, or rather safe enough.

If anything were to happen, I could scream and surely someone over the fence could hear me.

I was about to turn the page of the book when a ball came flying from the neighbor's house. It hit the wall of my house and bounced right over to me. Which caused me to jump up in shock.

What the heck?!

I couldn't remember my neighbors having kids or even leaving their house. I hadn't even interacted with them before. Only with the Denver's and those mom had over for dinner.

I was told the house beside us held a small family but I'd always assumed it was some old folks who hated the sun.

Gritting my teeth in annoyance of my reading being interrupted, I marched over to the blue and white soccer ball. Just my luck that the day I decided to rest in the backyard, the neighbor's magically adopted a child. To top it off I could hear the kid complaining loudly about his lost ball.

Which meant I had to make my way over there to return it.

I picked the ball up and slid my flip flops on, which had kicked off before I had settled in my reading. After successfully slipping them on I rested my book on the chair and made my way around the house to get to the front yard. Then I stomped my way over to the neighbor's residence.

To my surprise, when I paused at the front of their yard... I saw Zion's mom. She was on her knees facing Victor, the very forward little boy I had oversaw at the barbeque. From the looks of it, they seemed comfortable enough for it to be their actual yard.

Now I could see how Zion mixed up the house number when he sent the letter.

Before I could grab their attention, Romiro came from the side of the house with a look of disappointment.

He walked over to his family and joined Zion's mom by stooping to Victors level. As he rubbed his son's back he explained the situation to the boy. Trying his best to assure him someone would probably throw the ball back over the wall before the day was over.

After hearing him explain to the boy, I had the mind to just return home and throw the ball back over the wall. Yet before I could turn my legs towards home Victor noticed me. He wiggled his way from his parents at the sight of his ball and came storming at me.