10. Raid Day

Zion

Riding the train at 4 am with my team was really peaceful. It was dark now but reminiscing on  the  face time I had with Ashlin the night before just made it better. Ever since I met that girl, I've been better. Not hopelessly in love, not cured of my depression but better. Less things irritated me, as I could count on her at the end of the day. I could hear her voice at the end of any bad day.

She had kept to her promise of being a shoulder to lean on and I was extremely grateful but I hoped I wouldn't be a burden to her. Just like I'd been to my girlfriend...to the point she had to cheat on me with my best friend. Yet even their PDA at school stopped affecting me as much as it did.

It was like life finally decided to smile upon me. Throwing the caring, beautiful and reliable soul into my life. She was everything I could ask for in a friend plus more. She cared, she listened and she took action.

"These little shits won't know what hit em" Liam joked, pulling me out of my thoughts.

He was the treasurer for the team.

The team and I were on the train to the other side of the country. As we'd chose St Valdire as the school we'd Raid and boy did we plan to get them good. That asshole Jake was going to be furious when he got back from whichever school he decided to Raid.

"Ayo, I call dibs on Jake's Locker!" Someone shouted from the back, causing the bus to erupt into a series of squabbles.

It seemed they all hated the guy. As he must have flirted with either their sister or girlfriend. For me, it was different.

I've disliked Jake from the first day we met. It was a sunny day at football camp and we had to do laps around the field. He showed up late with a sob story, skipped the laps and kept texting on his phone. Then when it was finally time to play, he got assigned to our team. At first he was doing good and our team kept winning all summer.

Yet he had to ruin it by bailing on the championship game. We still won but I was just pissed because he bailed the game just to get a girl's phone number from her brother who was on the other team. That day just proved to me how much of a simp, asshole and betrayer Jake was in reality.

Of course I got over my distaste for him because after camp I didn't get to see him again. Yet every year our teams met, I realized he never changed. Plus he couldn't even get his team to any form finals.

"Y'all better grab some extra sleep because we'll be using alot of energy today" I advised, hoping to calm them down.

They needed to save that excitement for later. After all the team with the worst Raid would get a chance to be interviewed. That would mean more popularity for the team. Which would mean more supporters if we made it to finals. After all the team with the most turnout, gets a decent monetary prize each year.

"Everyone, Zion's right! We need rest if we're gonna climb the St Valdire steers to get to the labs, media rooms etc. We need to go everywhere." Gabe added, feeling the need to have the last word.

I internally rolled my eyes and reached over for my phone.

Might as well listen to some music to help me relax.

.....................................

Ashlin

It was Wednesday, the day of the Raid and I could tell everyone was anxious. I could tell by the tenseness of the air and the low whispers of conversation around me. It seemed they also did their research as I could see not a single person in white clothing. This place was going to be a mess by the end of the day and I couldn't wait for the action to start.