Afterlife*

1021 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written December 29 2021
Posted January 2 2022

Potentially triggering content, emotion wise

Dull indigos gazed listlessly, not really looking at anything specific in particular. His mom was gone again, she left him alone a lot. This was the first time that she'd left while he was asleep though. Normally she at least waited until he was awake to go, until now. Usually it didn't hurt so much when she left, at least not after getting used to being left alone. Today was different though.

Last year, he, his mom, and his dad had spent the whole day doing all kinds of fun stuff together to celebrate him turning nine. Today, he was a year older, but all alone. His dad was dead, and his mom didn't love him anymore. If she did, they'd be eating breakfast together. If she loved him, he wouldn't be here all alone.

Usually after being left alone, he'd go over to Aoko's. Her dad was nice, loud but nice. Her dad would try to hide his anger, the anger was never directed towards him though, it was his mom that the inspector got mad at. So Aoko's dad would get angry, but treat him nicely and give him food and company.

Kaito didn't want to go there today. Ginzo was nice, and he cared for him, but Ginzo wasn't his dad and he needed his dad. If his dad was here, then his mom would be with him as well. Kaito knew that he couldn't bring his dad back home, wishes and prayers didn't work. His dad had been an awesome dad, so he'd been brought to the awesome part of the afterlife. He was so awesome, that the afterlife didn't want to give him back.

He'd heard people talking about the amazing world that people went to after death. The internet had conflicting information, but if so many people talked about it, then it had to be real. It was a place that only good people could go to, or at least the afterlife that his dad was in was like that. There were probably tons and tons of afterlives. That would explain all of the conflicting information.

His dad had been awesome, and Kaito himself was pretty great too. The boy chewed his lip in thought. What if he wasn't awesome enough to go to the same place as his dad? He was still a kid, and he had plenty of time to become more awesome... So maybe if he asked nicely, he could see his dad. His dad was so great, and kind, and the very very best. His dad would leave that afterlife to go with him.

Kaito glanced shyly at the utensil drawer. He knew that the sharp knives resided in there. To go to the afterlife... He needed to be dead right? That's what happened with his dad, he died, then left. To be dead, he needed to be very sick or hurt. Kaito wasn't feeling sick... Well except for the fluttering feeling in his stomach, but that didn't count. So he would need to hurt himself, badly.

Fearful tears pricked at the corners of Kaito's eyes. He didn't want to hurt himself, it would be painful. He didn't like getting hurt, but... The boy carefully opened the utensil drawer, clasping his fingers around a sharp looking knife and taking it out. Knives could hurt people very badly, his mom and dad had told him so when he was little.

The boy tilted his head in thought, staring at the knife held in his trembling fingers. The only injuries he's seen caused by knives were just small cuts on Ginzo's fingers when cooking. His parents had never cut themselves on a knife, that he knew of, he hadn't watched them cook every single day.

Indigos lit up at a sudden memory. That was wrong, he did know about bad knife injuries. He'd just forgotten. One of the characters in the show he'd been watching around midnight had cut their arms and died. He'd been lonely, and his mom hadn't been home to comfort him, so he'd watched TV instead.

So he knew how to join the afterlife with his dad now. He wasn't like that TV character, he didn't hate his life... He just wanted to live a different one in the afterlife with his dad. He would be loved and would never be alone ever again. His mom hated him, and he'd eventually see Aoko and her dad again.

With the thought of seeing his dad again at the forefront of his mind, Kaito immediately slashed his arm down from his elbow to his wrist. Seconds later a pained wail passed through his lips as the knife clattered to the ground. It hurt! Kaito sank to his knees, hugging his hurt arm to his chest. Thoughts of the afterlife quickly leaving his mind as pain made itself a more pressing thought. It hurt, it hurt. How did that character manage to do more than one?! It hurt so much. Kaito was so focused on the pain that he didn't manage to notice Ginzo's presence until he felt himself being scooped up.

"Kaito-kun, why?!" Ginzo asked frantically as he grabbed a nearby dish towel and used it to staunch the bleeding. Thankfully the cut was deep, but not dangerously deep if treated promptly. Chikage had sent him a text telling him to watch Kaito until she returned, so he'd gone over to check if Kaito had fed himself yet. He'd hear Kaito's cry seconds after he'd opened the front door. Then he'd come across the boy kneeling on the ground next to a bloodied knife, arm bleeding and tears streaming down his face.

Kaito sniffled, clinging onto Ginzo's comforting safety "I wanted to see dad" His arm hurt "I miss being loved" Joining the afterlife was scary.

Ginzo's face twisted with anguish "Kaito" He made sure his voice was extra soft "Your dad won't want you to join him until you're even older than I am" He doubted that the boy really understood just what he'd been doing. At least he hoped not.

Teary indigos looked at the inspector "Why not?" His voice cracked "Does he hate me like mom does?"

Ginzo's heart broke at Kaito's trembling words.

Me: Hurting child Kaito.... Yes >~< I enjoyed writing this a lot

Comment? ^-^

Here are some cute photos to raise the mood

Just woke up... It's Wispy's own tail on her head >~< and no I wasn't shining a light on her. My new lamp was horizontal to the cage, not pointed at it.

 My new lamp was horizontal to the cage, not pointed at it

Pancake Wispy

Curled up rat looks like curled up cat~ Cinder

Curled up rat looks like curled up cat~ Cinder... QAQ Rat back feet are so cute and big....