Breaking (Winning)

1016 Words excluding (A/N)~ Berry doesn't own MK/DC~

Written August 30 2019
Posted September 15 2019

Part 7 of breaking

Something was off about this heist, no, a better word for it would have been special. Ginzo wasn't blind, though a lot of the other officers often thought he was. No, he'd easily spotted the extra figures hanging about the heist location. The realization had been alarming, which made him fearful that a whole team of snipers had decided to take aim at Kid. Kid was good, but even he couldn't escape from over 30 snipers unscathed.

Kid was acting strange as well, he'd once again appeared from nowhere within a cloud of white smoke, before swiftly snatching the heist's target and bolting. The last time this had happened he'd witnessed the thief's breakdown. But unlike then, now there seemed to be a deep sense of urgency within Kid's actions.

Ginzo yelled for his task force to follow him as he chased the elusive thief. Something was up, he just didn't know what, but he'd be damned if he wasn't there to help.

As he reached the roof, a sudden flash of red light blinded him, forcing him to shield his eyes with his arms. He didn't want to be blinded, especially when he needed to be on the lookout for snipers. He wasn't going to let Kid get shot, not this time, and hopefully not ever again. Having his pseudo son bleeding out in his arms once was already one times too many.

When the light finally died down, Ginzo uncovers his eyes. The sight that he met was confusing. Kid seemed frozen, only the faint fluttering of his cape due to a small breeze signified that he wasn't a statue. "Kid?" Ginzo inquired softly, not understanding why the thief seemed frozen in the position of holding the gem up to the moon. He squinted, was that really the gem? He could have sworn that it had been a clear white diamond, not a red diamond.

"Keibu..." That voice, it wasn't Kid's! It was Kaito's! Ginzo rushes over, barely managing to catch Kaito before the teen's legs gave out. Kaito trembled, suddenly feeling a thousand times lighter as he hugged Ginzo. He'd done it! He'd found Pandora! A soft sob wracked his frame, he didn't have to steal anymore. He could be himself!

"Kid?" Ginzo asked once more, inwardly pleading for the teen to knock him out and flee. He cast a quick glance towards the frozen task force, before turning back towards the teen, gritting his teeth. He had to find some plausible way for Kaito to escape, why hasn't he already run away?!? They weren't alone! A sudden wetness began to soak the inspector's shoulder before Kaito went limp.

"Kaitou Kid has been cleared of all crimes" Countless gazes snapped towards the owner of the voice, many intaking a breath at the sudden reappearance of Kudo Shinichi. Ginzo hugged Kaito's unconscious form closer, he knew that the sleuth was friends with Kaito, but he was also a famous detective. He didn't really understand why Kaito had fainted, but he was going to protect him. Azure eyes gazed sympathetically towards the magician before turning back towards the task force. He took a few steps closer. "Let me tell you all a story about a boy, and a magician who fought their all against the evil crows, eventually winning in the end..." He breathed, silently signalling the FBI, CIA, and PSB to leave using Morse come on his transmitter.

*

Ginzo smoothed the bangs back out of Kaito's face, the boy still looked so frail as he laid in his bed. He couldn't believe the scope of what the teen had been involved in. He allowed a soft smile to crease his lips at how Kaito seemed to be more relaxed. The stupid kid had basically been fighting for years in a war against a worldwide syndicate, and he'd won that same war. He didn't know whether to be proud or horrified.

"Your support really helped Kaito to push through" Ginzo looked up from Kaito to see Shinichi, who he now knew for sure had been Edogawa Conan. He was another young boy who'd fought that same war by Kaito's side.

Ginzo let out a sigh, shaking his head "No, I've barely even helped him..." He clenched his fist, he'd wanted to help, but then he'd be at risk of giving away Kaito's secret.

Shinichi sat down on a chair on the other side of the bed, giving Kaito a loving look before turning towards Ginzo with a wry smile "You're wrong, your mere acceptance of Kaito being Kid took a whole load off of his shoulders. He admires you so much that he'd begun to despise himself for causing you so many problems" Shinichi replied, gaze darkening. "He hated how much he was hurting both you and Nakamori-San with all of his heists" He finished.

Ginzo closed his eyes, feeling weary as he remembered all of the insults and curses both he and Aoko had thrown at Kaito unknowingly. The kid had a really good poker face to be able to take them with the grins he'd always given. "I still was barely able to help him..." He'd even caused a lot of Kaito's hurt until he'd realized that Kaito was Kid. He should have done more for him.

"You trusted him to be able to survive when he got shot, stopping him from being murdered at either the hospital or his jail cell. You gave him your acceptance and told him you'd always be proud of him" Shinichi paused "That more than anything, lifted his spirits and gave him the strength to keep going" He breathed, giving Kaito a small poke on the cheek "You've supported him emotionally to the best of your abilities, and always kept an eye on him"

Ginzo lowered his head, Shinichi did have a small point, though he still felt like he should have done more. "I just see him as my own son, so I feel like I've somehow failed him"

Indigos opened "I also see you as my second dad..." Kaito replied, a small but sleepy smile on his face.

Me: Kaito became overwhelmed by his emotions~

And that's the end of the 'breaking' mini-series... Gah that's long enough to be its own mini-Book but berry won't do that because then all zee lovely comments would go bye-bye in zee transfer XD

The length was due to the comments~ Berry loves comments~ and thus wrote more of what should have been a one-shot~

Hope you enjoyed the 22 page mini-story~

Berry can't really decide if this was a happy or sad mini-series...