Bittersweet (Bittersweet)

1028 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written March 29 2020
Posted April 5 2020

"What are you doing up here Tantei-kun?" The soft voice caused Conan to look over his shoulder, Kid was standing right behind him, the moon's light casting shadows over the thief's identifying features

Conan's shoulders sagged a bit as he turned away from the other, Beika had a really pretty view from this height "I could say the same to you" He breathed, kicking his feet a bit as they dangled over the rooftop "There was no heist tonight" Yet here Kid was, all suited up. What were the chances of them actually meeting like this? The oddness caused a bitter smile to tug at his lips.

Kid was silent for a few moments, veiled indigos observing the other "I was taking a pleasure flight" He admitted, noting that the sleuth's form was relaxed, unlike the many other times that they'd met during heists. He tilted his head, making sure that the shadows still masked his face if Conan decided to turn around "And you?" They were quite the distance from the Mouri residence.

Azure darkened, tiny fingers curling into fists "I wanted to get away" He paused, then shook his head "No, I needed to" He just needed to take a break from being Edogawa Conan, Ran's little brother. He was tired, so very tired. The act was so old now that he wasn't even sure if it was even an act anymore.

The thief pursed his lips, feeling for the shrunken boy "Understandable" For some reason, he felt like joking around wasn't really appropriate at the moment. He too grew tired of the lies in his own life. There were so many freaking lies now, having built up atop of one another. He glanced at the edge, it was a really far drop, lethal even "When are you planning to go back?" Conan had to go back there, even if he had to force him. He really liked the little Tantei.

Conan let out a breath, it fogged up his false glasses "When I'm ready" He stared wistfully at the sky "I can't let her cry even more" She'd already cried so many times because of Shinichi, he couldn't let Conan make her cry too.

Veiled indigos softened "I'm sorry" Conan gave a little squeak at the sudden feeling of being picked up. Kid hugged the tiny sleuth against his chest, eyes burning "It's my fault" The formula had been in Shinichi's hand, but he'd tossed it away in order to catch him, to stop his deadly plummet. Gin had shot him, causing him to stagger off the building. The disk had gotten destroyed in the following commotion. That had been the sleuth's last chance, the temporary cures no longer worked after that day. It had his final gambit, and they'd failed.

Conan found himself clutching at Kid's suit, tears falling down his cheeks. He couldn't be Shinichi anymore, Shinichi was dead, forever. But was getting his old life worth allowing Kid to die? Sure he didn't know the other's real name, but they'd worked together for so long. Kid had always had his back, and he'd never doubted the other once they'd teamed up. The only reason that he'd even been able to touch it was due to Kid's help, there was no way that he could have let him die, not like that.

The quiet, but at the same time deafening crunch of Vodka's boot on the disk still haunted him. He didn't think that he'd ever be able to forget.

Kid gently lowered himself so that the crying sleuth was sitting in his lap, it was admirable how the other's sobs were silent. The only telling of the boy actually crying was how his tiny body shook and the growing wetness on his suit. He rested his chin lightly on Conan's head as his own tears began to fall in mourning, mourning for the future that had been lost "You're so strong" Kid's voice was watery as he ran his fingers through the other's neat locks "You'll be okay" Not now, not anytime soon, but one day, Conan would be okay "One day" He hoped.

"I was supposed to marry Ran" A small hiccup "And be the best detective in the world" But that had changed, so much had fucking changed. Now the though of kissing his childhood crush made him feel uneasy, dirty. It felt like imaging himself trying to kiss a sister. It was so confusing, having never imagined falling out of love with Ran, only to love her again, but in a different way. She'd become the sister that he'd never realized that he'd needed, the constant in his life that his parents had never given him.

"I know" Kid breathed, remembering how much the tiny sleuth had loved her when they'd first met "She loved you just as much as you did her" And now that love had fizzled away into something more innocent. Family.

Conan sniffed, azure still watery "Why am I so sad?" Kid could barely hear his words "Conan has more than Shinichi ever did" Good friends, a mostly stable home environment, family that stayed, and a trustworthy rival.

"I think" Kid paused before continuing "I think that it's only natural" His shoulders sagged "Your life was stolen from you" He hugged the sleuth a little tighter "You didn't make the choice to become Conan" Not like he himself did with Kid. Conan could mourn his losses because he was truly no longer the same person that he'd used to be. The original Shinichi didn't exist.

The sleuth pulled away to look into teary indigos, he could see Kid's face "We're similar aren't we?" He reached up to touch Kid's cheek "Is Kid the mask or the real person?"

Kid let out a bitter laugh "I've been wondering that myself lately" His civilian life was full of so many lies, yet as Kid things were more clear. Kid removed both top hat and monocle, ignoring the small gasp from the other "Kuroba Kaito, AKA Kaitou Kid" He tilted his head to the side, indigos soft as he offered both a smile and a yellow rose "I would like to be your official friend" Someone who understood, and accepted.

Me: This was very interesting to write~

I'm not sure how I feel about this >~>

Hope you enjoyed~

Fish is so healthy and there's so many kinds...

Berry despises it QAQ tried so many kinds but it's always nasty. Berry has always wanted to like fish, but always ended up hating it. The smell is revolting to her and the taste is always yucky >^< at least to her it is