Breaking (Fragile)

1001 Words excluding (A/N)~ Berry no owns MK/DC~

Gah! *Lamants my inability to hold off on publishing this* I could have used the time to stockpile chapters... If Berry had held off its only be published up till 'Bad Timing' at this point in time •^•

Part 2 of Breaking

Written August 23 2019

Ginzo glared his fiercest glare at the seemingly innocent bottle. It looked innocent enough until one read the label, and to whom they were prescribed for. His fingers tightened angrily around the sturdy plastic, teeth clenched. They were antidepressants for Kaito. The one person who he'd never even thought would require them, at least not until recently that is.

He hated them, loathed their existence and what their existence meant. But, at the same time he couldn't help but feel a slight gratefulness for them. The fact that the crazy kid sought help on his own was relieving, it meant that Kaito was fighting.

Ginzo's memory flashed back to that heist a few days ago, that heist where he'd finally noticed just how much Kaito had been hurting. The prescription dated on the bottle was the day after the heist. Kaito had listened to him.

He let out a somewhat steady breath as he gently placed the pill bottle back onto its place on top of the microwave. It didn't stand out as much beside the variety of vitamins and cold medicines. Which was probably the point of it being stored hidden in plain sight, his daughter loved to snoop around Kaito's house.

The soft pattern of footsteps, almost inaudible heading down the stairs caught the inspector's attention. Kaito was dressed in casual black slacks and yellow t-shirt, his hair slightly damp as he ran a towel over his head. "Ojisan?" Kaito inquired softly, taking note of the inspector's presence. He still looked quite bad, his shoulders still slightly bowed, dark rings lining weary indigos.

Ginzo grinned, walking over towards Kaito, grabbing the towel before ruffling his unruly locks with it. He remembered doing the same thing with Aoko when she was little. "I came to tell you that Aoko's almost done making dinner" He smirked at the annoyed scowl, he got his petty revenge whenever he could. In ways that wouldn't harm or endanger Kaito of course. "It saves us the trouble of having her yell at you" He added. Ginzo had recently noticed that Kaito had stopped fighting back in their arguments, now the teen just seemed to sag a bit and take the insult as if he'd deserved it.

Kaito nodded in understanding before grimacing "It's not those things is it?" He inquired, voice laced with a mixture of fear and disgust. He did his best to suppress a fearful shiver, he didn't think he could handle that at the moment.

Ginzo's gaze softened "No, I haven't been in the mood to eat that recently" And he probably wouldn't be for a long while, or at least until he felt that it was okay to not have Kaito over for dinner. At least with inviting the other over, it gave him another excuse to check up on the boy.

A small but relieved smile tugged at Kaito's lips. "Kay, I'll join you guys"

*

Kaito curled up in his bed, an unusually happy feeling lifting his spirits. Eating dinner that day at the Nakamoris was nothing like it usually was. Normally both Aoko and her father would rant on and on about Kaitou Kid, in Aoko's case it was usually about how useless and evil he was and with her father it was about catching him. But today had been different, Aoko had been scolded by her father when she began hurtling insults about his moonlight persona. He'd defended Kid, something that until recently he'd never thought was possible.

It had been so hard stopping himself from crying when Ginzo had actually listed off a plethora of Kaitou Kid's good points before telling Aoko that she can't judge someone she doesn't know, especially if you didn't know their reasons. It had taken everything in him to prevent his hands from shaking. He didn't really deserve that kindness.

Though the real reason why he was currently curled up in his bed, hidden beneath the sheets was due to what had happened when he'd left.

"Kaito-Kun" Kaito paused in his motion of opening the door, instead letting his hand rest on the doorknob. He gave Ginzo a confused look, he didn't really understand why the inspector had waited until Aoko was out of hearing range. A small part of his mind whispered that he should run, since the inspector knew.

Kaito opened his mouth to reply, only to let out a surprised squeak at suddenly becoming the recipient of a borderline bone crushing hug. He hadn't expected that. "Thank you" Ginzo whispered, voice wavering.

Kaito felt a small thrum of fear hit him before quickly quelling it. Ginzo would hurt him. "For what?" His voice wary as his gaze flickered momentarily towards the door. He knew, he knew, he knew his identity!

Ginzo released him, crouching slightly to meet Kaito's indigo gaze. The happiness and relief within the inspector's face was almost overwhelming. "Thank you for taking care of yourself" Kaito trembled, he really didn't think he deserved this level of care, especially from the one he'd often tormented in the past.

"I-I'm trying..." Kaito murmured, his voice somewhat watery. They were too close! He shouldn't be letting people stay too close! He was supposed to be keeping people at a distance. Where they couldn't be hurt.

Ginzo gently clasped both of Kaito's shoulder with his hands. "Please don't give up" He paused "No matter what, I'll always be proud of you and be on your side" Kaito was not okay, but as long as he didn't give up, Ginzo would be damned if he didn't win.

Kaito swallowed, nodding numbly before bolting our the door. That was too close! He can't be having conversations like that!

It was scary, it was too dangerous for Ginzo to know what he seemed to imply that he did. He didn't want to be the reason why Aoko had no father. He let out a small dark giggle. Though in a way, didn't he already do that with all of the heists?

Me: Kaito's trying to heed Nakamori-Keibu's words, but it's just so hard for him... At least he's trying...

I really like Nakamori...

Hope you enjoyed?