Blind Games

1012 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Prompt from 'His Feathers' been meaning to write something like this for months... I was lazy

Written July 4 2020
Posted July 19 2020
NEXT UPDATE August 2 2020

❗️I've decided that the last update day of each month will not have updates for the MK/DC fandom❗️❗️

Kaito smiled to himself as he fixed the blindfold over his eyes, it had started to loosen a bit so he'd decided to tighten it before it fell off. A great magician must be able to work surrounded by smoke, so he'd decided to do better than that. His goal was to master the art of living without sight, if he could do that, then his tricks would be all the more better for it.

It'd been a few days since both summer had started, and since he'd started wearing the blindfold. His parents had tried to take it away, but he'd just kept his eyes closed, refusing to open them until summer break had ended. Not even his dad could change his mind about this.

A small giggle escaped the boy as he felt the feathery wings of one of their doves rubbing against his cheek, he couldn't identify the bird just yet, but he pet them all the same. He loved all of his father's doves. He played with the dove for a good while before heading to his room without bumping into anything. He was getting pretty good at this, maybe he'll be ready to go outside soon.

*

Toichi sighed in exasperation at the sight of Kaito's blindfold as the boy followed him down the sidewalk, the boy had a skip in his step. They were going to meet both Ginzo and Aoko at Edoka park for the two kids to play together after "Kaito we're about to cross a road now" He breathed, reaching over to take the 8 year old's hand into his own.

Kaito frowned "I'm too old to hold your hand when crossing the road" He whined, shaking his hand in an attempt to escape. He wasn't a little kid anymore, he was a big kid.

The older rolled his eyes "You also can't see any cars" He was smiling at how disgruntled Kaito was acting "It's your own fault Kaito" If the boy just ended his experiment, he wouldn't be making him hold his hand.

"I don't need to see!" The boy beamed, slipping his hand away before running forwards, only to yelp at the feeling of being dragged back by his collar and something speeding by right where he'd just been.

Toichi's heart was racing, it felt like it was threatening to escape his chest "You do need to see Kaito" His son had almost died, it was difficult to keep the strain out of his voice "That car almost hit you" He knelt down, pulling the boy into a tight hug "Don't you dare do that again"

Kaito allowed himself to lean into the hug, only now realizing what that rush of air had been "I'm sorry dad" He hadn't meant to scare him.

*

It'd been a few weeks since he'd almost been hit by a car, and to be honest, Kaito was feeling kinda awesome. He'd mastered the art of listening for traffic, with help of course, so now he could blindly cross roads without any help. Not that anybody but his dad knew that he did so of course.

Kaito turned his head towards where he heard Ginzo talking and grinned "Uncle Nakamori!" He called, running over towards the older.

Ginzo's eyes widened, holy shit. Who the hell removed the sewer drain lid?! It was just on the edge of the property, uncovered and in Kaito's way. He opened his mouth to warn the boy before snapping it shut as Kaito automatically hopped over the normally covered hole "Don't scare me like that!" The inspector scolded, giving the boy a soft swat on the head.

Indigos blinked under the blindfold as Kaito tilted his head to the side in confusion "I didn't do anything" All he'd done was run over, he hadn't even crossed any roads within the other's sight.

The inspector was silent for a few moments, gaze flickering towards the hole then back towards the boy "The sewer lid was removed for some reason" The only reason why he'd noticed was because he'd grown accustomed to checking Kaito's path.

Kaito's mouth opened into a small 'o' shape at the information "I didn't know" He admitted softly "I just don't like stepping on sewer lids" He'd memorized it's location a while ago, so it'd been easy for him to just hop over it.

Ginzo hung his head, relieved "You almost gave me a heart attack you damn brat!" Fuck, he needed a smoke. Toichi's kid is going to give him grey hairs soon.

The boy offered a small smile at the fondness in the other's tone "I'm sorry Uncle Nakamori"

*

Kaito was focused on his hearing as he navigated the streets, the summer break was almost over, meaning that he'd have to remove the blindfold soon for school. Knowing this, he'd elected to take a bus to Beika since he was less familiar with the place. Though, it was a bit harder to navigate since it was raining. The rain was muffling the sounds, forcing him to be extra vigilant in crossing the streets.

"Shinichi, what are you wearing?"

Kaito tuned the person out, probably a girl his age, or at least he tried to. He let out a surprised squeak at how he was suddenly grabbed "Let go of me!" Rude! He yanked his arm out of the girl's grip.

The girl blinked, suddenly realizing that Kaito wasn't the person she'd thought he was. Her cheeks flushed with embarrassment "I'm sorry!" She ran away, leaving a very confused Kaito behind. She couldn't believe that she'd grabbed a random stranger! She was so glad that the boy had been blindfolded for some weird reason. Now she wouldn't have to worry about being recognized.

The boy sighed as he continued making his way towards his destination, which of course was a chocolate store. He already knew what he wanted and was curious to see if the cashier would try to cheat him out of money, he knew what each coin felt like so he'd call the cashier out if they tried. He hoped they did try, then he might get some free chocolate as bribery to stay silent.

Me: I actually almost fell in a sewer hole before on the way to school >.> It was in the grass and the lid had been removed for some reason. I was running in the dark at 5:50 am to catch a bus for school...

Gah, I didn't even have a phone then...

Hope you enjoyed~

Sometimes I just sprinkle some salt onto my hand then lick it, and repeat a few times since it's addicting...

I drink lots of water after for health