Breaking (Accusations)

1027 Words excluding (A/N)~ Ownership of MK/DC does not exist within Berry's known collection.

Written August 24 2019
Posted August 25 2019

NEXT UPDATE: September 1 2019

Part 4 of Breaking

Kaito opened his door, having heard a steady knock on it. He regretted it. "Hmm, it's oddly suspicious that you went on an unexpected vacation right after the heist where Kaitou Kid got shot" Saguru gave Kaito a suspicion filled glance, his lip slightly curled up into a triumphant smirk. "Don't you think so Kuroba-Kun?"

Kaito visibly bristled, indigos narrowing darkly as he bared his teeth. "Stop accusing me of being Kid!" It's dangerous! He wasn't in any condition to escape or dodge a bullet. Not yet at least, and not anytime soon. Just the simple act of breathing was borderline agony for him. Over the counter pain meds were too weak for his injury, but anything stronger could dull his mind. He was strong though, he could deal with it, he had to.

"Oh, you're not denying it?" Saguru inquired, slightly put off by the magician's sudden visible aggression.

Letting out a low growl Kaito took an aggressive step towards Saguru, slapping the other harshly on the face. He couldn't really deal with Saguru right now, maybe in a few weeks he could, but not now. "Are you trying to get me killed?!?" Kaito asked, his voice unusually highly pitched from panic. His shoulders haunched slightly as he momentarily wrapped his arms around himself in a tight hug. Indigos warily glanced around, fearful of the wrong sort of onlookers.

Saguru scowled at the accusation, he wasn't a murderer, he was a detective! "No, I'm trying to catch the international jewel thief called Kaitou Kid" Saguru's gaze narrowed, taking in the other's startlingly pale complexion "My main suspect is you" He finished.

The magician snarled and grabbed Saguru's arm, swiftly yanking the teenage detective through the door before slamming and locking said door. "Don't ever say accusations like that in public!" Kaito growled, releasing Saguru's arm now that they were less likely to be overheard.

The blond stated at Kaito with wide eyes, he'd never seen Kaito so, unhinged. Yes, the teen was crazy to begin with, but at least there seemed to be a calculated level of that insanity. But now, he didn't see any of that calculating gleam within those indigos. "What is wrong with you?!" Saguru accused, Kaito's mental health seemed to have plummeted within the last few months that he'd been in London.

Kaito looked at him with confusion before shaking his head, letting out a sarcastic laugh. "What's wrong with me?" He growled, giving the blond his best hateful glare. "Well I'm being publicly accused by a known detective of being Kaitou Kid!" Kaito let out a breath "Do you know what could happen if the wrong people hear your FALSE accusations?!?" His voice was now borderline frantic "They'll try to kill me!" Saguru gaped, eyes wide as the younger seemed to go limp and slid down to the ground, resting his back against the wall. "Kaitou Kid his people after his life!" He gave a broken laugh as he buried his face in his hands "He was even shot!"

They'd aimed at Ginzo because they knew Kid would protect him, the inspector was a much easier target than an elusive phantom thief. Kid had no choice but to get shot, Ginzo wasn't allowed to die. Aoko wouldn't be forced to go through the same thing that Kaito had when he was little. He would do everything in his power to prevent it, plus he didn't think he'd be able to even survive losing another father. It was better for everyone that Kaito had been the one to take the bullet.

"Kuroba-Kun..." Saguru swallowed, his mouth suddenly feeling quite dry. He hadn't thought of the consequences besides Kaitou Kid ending up in jail.

Kaito peered up through his fingers "They wouldn't lose anything except a bullet or two if they decided that they might as well test your theory..." The blond opened his mouth to respond, but he couldn't really find the right words. He hadn't really thought much about the group of killers after Kid, he'd tried his best to avoid thinking about it.

"I understand, I won't publicly accuse you anymore" Saguru let out a shaky breath, finally realizing that there was more at stake than some petty jewel and jail time. He didn't like Kaito, but he didn't want the other's blood on his hands. Which is exactly what could have easily already happened if not for Kaito's luck.

"Hakuba-Niisan please leave Kaito-Niichan alone" The blond looked over towards the kitchen entrance. He recognized the boy as Edogawa Conan, the apparent KID Killer from the news. Conan looked oddly weary and was missing his iconic glasses. "Kaito-Niichan is hurting..." Conan paused his azure gaze strategically glancing momentarily towards the top of the microwave before continuing. "He was mistaken as Shinichi-Niichan and hurt terribly" A lie, but it would help boost Kaito's reasons for being mistaken as someone else.

Gold darkened as Saguru pursed his lips "I understand" He gave a small bow to the child before giving Kaito an apologetic look "I'll try not to bother you too much for now" He breathed before leaving. He'd still look for clues on Kid's identity, but he'd at least wait until the people trying to kill him were locked up. Maybe he'd even wait until Kaito was mentally okay again as well.

*

"Shin-Chan..." Conan frowned as he sat down beside the magician, allowing Kaito to pull him into a hug. Normally he'd threaten the other, but the faint trembling of Kaito's frame held him back.

"Silly magician" Conan huffed, reciprocating the hug, he did his best to refrain himself from calling Kaito 'Bakaito' the teen had some raw wounds from that name even though he tried to hide it . "Everything will be fine, you've got me, Jii-San, Hakase, Haibara, and even, Nakamori-Keibu secretly on your side" He scoffed, bopping Kaito lightly on the head. He wasn't going to let either Kaito, or Kid fall without a fight.

"I didn't mean to be so mean to him..." Kaito whispered, Azure softened.

"I know, and I'm pretty sure he knows as well" Conan soothed.

Me: No Nakamori sadly, but I felt like this little bit would fit in nicely and maybe clear a few things? Maybe?

This mini series is really fun to write, there will be more in the 'Breaking' but berry is unsure of the exact number~

Hope you enjoyed~