fifty-two

Brielle A. Jones

Dallas, Texas
2022

This belly might have been in the way, but I definitely enjoyed myself last night. It's been a minute since I did anything. Between Bari's antics and the sibling bickering, I don't know which was funnier. Today was a Saturday and I had to open the store. I still don't trust my two workers enough to let them be key holders. Sorry, not sorry. But since it's a Saturday, the store is only going to be open for about six hours.

Ugh! I do not want to get out of bed. Hell, I can't. I removed the pillow from my back and threw my legs over the bed. I held my back and stood up. Whew! I swear I have been pregnant forever. Cam and I agreed on a surprise baby shower, so when we go to the doctor's on Monday for my check-up, I'm just going to ask for copies of the ultrasound to send out so our folks can plan it. Between my parents and Cam's, this baby is about to be spoiled rotten. Especially by Cam's parents, being that it's their first grandchild.

I waddled to the bathroom and released my urine. I wiped and waited because this baby be on my damn bladder. I could be done peeing and here came some more. I rolled off some tissue and wiped again before flushing the toilet. I fixed my panties and walked over to the sink. I washed my hands and took care of my oral hygiene.

"Baby!" I shook my head once I heard Cameron yell for me. Loud ass. I walked out of the bathroom to see him walking into the bedroom all sweaty. He's been working out in the backyard lately, claims he's getting fat.

"You ain't hear me calling you?" He mugged me as he pulled off his clothes, throwing them in the dirty clothes basket.

"I was in the bathroom." I walked over to the dresser and pulled out a pair of scrubs. They seem to be the only thing that gives me comfort when I have to wear clothes for a long period of time. I know scrubs at a jewelry store? Mind y'all business. I'm pregnant, so I get an excuse.

"You're probably the only person I know who has taken maternity leave and is still working." He shook his head and snatched the scrubs from me.

I frowned. "Why did you do that?"

"Cause you're not going to work. You are done for the next two months."

"But baby!" I stopped my feet.

He shook his head and threw the scrubs. "But baby, my ass. You can't even walk down the stairs without crying. Call your employees from my phone and tell them to meet you in a little while so you can pass the key off. Finna take a quick shower, then we can go."

"You get on my damn nerves." I rolled my eyes and walked out of the bedroom downstairs.

"I love you too!" I shook my head as he yelled after me. I sighed as I held onto the railing. Ugh, oh my god. I took one step at a time until I made it to the bottom. I walked into the laundry room and opened the dryer and grabbed whatever was there. It was a pair of maternity leggings and a t-shirt. I already had my undergarments on, so I just slipped everything on. Nigga better feed me too while he's keeping me home.

As I was walking back into the front, I heard the doorbell ring and sighed. Lord, I just want to sit down. I rubbed my stomach as I walked to the door and looked out the glass, not seeing anybody or anything. That's weird, and damn my phones are at the store, so I can't check the cameras. I unlocked the door and stepped onto the porch, looking around. I looked down and raised my eyebrow in suspicion. I looked around again before squatting as best as I could to pick up the orange envelope.

I kicked the door shut as I was opening the large envelope. I pulled the contents out and my stomach dropped. As I flipped through, my breathing hitched. Oh my god. I dropped the pictures and started screaming Cameron's name. "AMARI! AMARI!"