sixty-three

Cameron A. Hayes

Dallas, Texas
2022

"Dr. James! Her heart rate is dropping and she struggling to breath."

That kept replaying in my head as Bri was laying in the bed gasping for air. I immediately thought the worse as our previous conversation started to replay in my head. That's not the first time she's mentioning that topic. It's like ever since she became pregnant her delivery outcome has weighed heavy on her mind. I understood why. She's a black woman and the complications women endure during childbirth is ridiculous. They're often unheard, ignored, or looked over. So yes I understood the talk but that doesn't mean I'm not sacred. Brielle said no matter how much we trusted Dr. James we needed to be prepared for anything that happens.

Panic was starting to seep threw me as the nurses moved around the room frantically. I had to close my eyes and take a deep breath so I wouldn't have a panic attack. I haven't had one in years but the way I'm feeling right now? I'm bound to pass out soon.

"Uh uh! Keep yo eyes open muffin." Dakari tapped her face lightly and her eyes fluttered.

A nurse stepped in front of me and pulled a oxygen mask over her face. Her heart started to rise and I sighed in relief cause whew. If I'm assuming correctly Brielle is experiencing perinatal asphyxia. She's failing to inhale and release air. That's the reason she was gasping for air because she wasn't receiving none.

"Bri can you hear me?" Dr. James asked as she was still between her legs. I still can't believe we're having twins. I mean I knew it was a possibility because her stomach was just too big for just one baby. I wonder how the hell Dr. J never saw the other baby.

My baby nodded her head weakly as she gripped my hand. It wasn't as tight as before but it was tight enough to ease my mind.

"Ok Bri we have to get baby 2 out ASAP! I need a big push from you but if you think it's too much we can do a emergency c-section."

I looked at baby and she shook her head rapidly. I knew exactly why. Brielle doesn't want to deal with the complications after the c-section and sometimes c-sections aren't needed. Hospitals will do anything for the bottom line.

"Alright on three I need a big push. One, two, and three."

I held her hand as she pushed with all her might. I heard my baby's cry and I started crying.

"ITS GIRL!"

I pushed Bri's braids out her face and kissed her all over. "You did it mama. You did it."

She cuffed my face and smiled weakly as tears streamed down her face.

"Alright dad! Since you couldn't cut the first cord, would you like the honors of doing this one?"

I nodded and grabbed the scissors cutting the cord correctly. I smiled through the tears as my baby hollered. God really blessed me with two princesses and a queen to spoil. I am forever thankful. I went back to Brielle's bedside and grabbed her hand. She opened her eyes and just looked at me. My baby was so tired. She pushed out not one, but two babies with no drugs. She's built different. I don't think we were having anymore kids though cause this was too much for me. The doctor didn't say anything but I know I could've lost her today.