seventy-three

Za'Keria L. Jones

Houston, Texas 
2023

We were finally back at the house and I was sitting on the couch holding a ice pack to my head. I shook my head because I was not expecting to get headbutted twice! Like damn Bri.

I looked around as my parents were staring at me. They didn't even have to say it but I knew they were disappointed. They raised me better but yet I've been letting my boyfriend abuse me. My sister was right. I'm mad at myself and I've been taking it out on everybody. I really don't even have a explanation why I pushed Airelle, I just did. Damn Keria what is wrong with you?

"How long has this been going on?" My daddy questioned and I just let the tears roll. I've cried so much I'm surprised that I still have tear ducts.

"After the NFL combine. He didn't get invited to the draft and that's when he started taking his anger out on me."

My daddy sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Za'Keria, so you mean to tell me he's been abusing you for the last year and a half? What the fuck is wrong with you? Why you didn't come to us?"

I removed the ice pack from my head throwing it on the coffee table. "Because he said if I told anybody he was going to kill Zaire. I wasn't thinking about me at all. I ain't tell because I was protecting my child."

"I don't know wether to call you dumb, stupid, or slow."

"Sincere!" My mama yelled, reprimanding him and I couldn't do nothing but shake my head.

He threw his hand up. "No Ash, because this is not my child sitting in front of me. This is not the same person that shot her baby's father when he was about to kill her. This is not the same person that testified against her baby's father. This is not the same person that sent her baby's father to prison. I know abusive relationships ain't easy, but the Za'Keria Laura Jones I know? Would've left when the first hit was thrown. She would've beat his ass and ended the relationship because she doesn't need a man. She doesn't need a man to make her feel worthy or beautiful. She doesn't need a man to make her feel important. I am very disappointed in you because you let this go on for a fucking year! WHY YOU DIDN'T CALL ME?"

My daddy yelled at me and I couldn't do nothing but cry because he was telling the truth. I let Kayden manipulate and abuse me because I thought that I needed him. I started crying even harder when I heard his voice crack.

"HUH? Why you didn't call me Laura! Protecting you and this family is my job! It's my job until the Lord calls me home. Nine times outta of ten we wouldn't have found out until you was in a fucking bodybag if yo sister ain't say nothing. Because you damn sure wasn't going to open your mouth. It's so much I wanna say but I can't stand to look at you right now; but you're moving back home and I'm going to handle Kayden. Get out of my sight."

I dropped my head and stood up heading for the stairs with a heavy mind. I checked the media room because that's where all the kids were. I smiled once I saw Trey and Bari sleep with them on their chests. Zaire was asleep on Bari's head. I laughed because I don't know why he does that. As I stepped out of the room I ended up bumping into Bri in the process. I tensed up and she looked me up and down before walking around me.

"Muffin." I called after her.

"What you say when I got back from Jamaica? Oh that's right, girl fuck you."

She mugged me before jogging down the stairs and I couldn't do nothing but drop my head. Guess I deserved that.

Dakari S. Jones

I punched the tv and watched it fall to the floor shattering in pieces. I started pacing cause what the fuck man. I'm furious because this second child of mine that done been through something and I wasn't called. Keeping secrets is how people get hurt! I'm supposed to protect them and they're not letting me. Lord what am I doing wrong? I sat on the couch putting my head in my hands.

"Baby."

I heard and felt Ashley climb behind me laying her head on my back. I shook my head feeling the tears roll down my face. "Ash he's been abusing my baby. He's been around us. In and out of our houses. Smiling in our faces like he hasn't been putting his hands on her. Why we didn't see the signs?"

This was Keria's second life or death situation and I just don't know man. We talked almost everyday and she didn't say nothing. I knew she wasn't ready for another relationship but that wasn't my call to make. I'm only supposed to support and be happy because she's happy. My literal flesh and blood was being abused and the abuser has been right under our noses.

I looked up and stared ahead. "He has to die."

"Sincere." I heard Ashley say and I knew for a fact she was staring at the back of my head.

I shook my head. "No, don't even try to talk me outta this. You know what happened with the last one. I said wasn't nobody else gonna hurt my girls if I had anything to do with it. Kayden signed his own death certificate the first time he laid hands on my baby."

I chuckled because this the same lil nigga that said we don't have to worry about him betraying the family. Dumb ass just don't know what's coming to him. Can't believe Keria let this go on for this long. She knows better! I raised and instilled into them that abuse is a no go. No matter the type. If it's mental, leave. If it's emotional, leave. If it's physical, leave. I taught them at a young age how a woman is supposed to be treated. I made sure I drilled that into them. That's why it's not processing in my head. I've always said if you don't see a reflection of me in him, let it go. If he's not treating you like I do, then don't push it.

I don't care if their standards seem high cause I know for sure it's men out here that'll worship the ground my babies walk on. Cameron and Jabari are two prime examples.

I'll have a real talk with Keria later because right now my head is just all over place. I'm here but I'm not here. This some bullshit man.

short because it's a filler chapter.

keria's pov 👀

dakari's pov 👀

when y'all think bri gonna talk to her?

who pov y'all want next before the wedding things take place? BE MINDFUL that I always do the opposite of what y'all say 😬

I will be ending this book at chapter 28!

please excuse all mistakes.

please vote, comment, and share.