twenty-eight.

Cameron A. Hayes

Dallas, Texas
2020

The past week has been rough. I have never broken any bones in my body before, so all this is new to me. Getting adjusted to a new routine is very stressful, but my baby has been a lot of help. It's crazy that we have only been dating for a month and all this has transpired. I know I'm always spoiling her but I'm definitely going to get her something to show my token of gratitude.

I knew K'Mya, Destiny or whoever was crazy, but not that crazy. I really thank God for putting his hands on me. I have been in two predicaments where I could've lost my life, but didn't. That man upstairs is powerful. The only person I'm worried about is Brielle. My nightmares are back and she doesn't sleep. She sits in the chair beside the bed and just watches me, but I got a solution for that though.

Other than getting used to being immobile, everything is okay for now. Bri, along with our fathers went back to her condo exactly two days later with the police. The condo was destroyed and they found K'Mya's supposedly twin sister hanging from the shower rod, but no sign of K'Mya. It was a mess. Bri said the owner of the whole condo building is suing her for damage and some other bullshit she said. So on top of that, worrying about me, finals, and her business babygirl got a lot on her mind and I'm about to ease it. A knock sounded at the door and I nodded my head. Right on time. "It's open!"

I grabbed my crutches and easily threw my leg over. I stood up applying light pressure. I slid the barn doors open and hopped towards the front of the basement. The door opened and Jabari strutted in with a woman behind him.

Jabari looked at me and turned his face up. "Nigga why you not sitting the hell down. I could've handle everything."

"Boy fuck you." I smacked my lips and turned to the woman with my hand out and she shook it.

"Sorry about all that. Hi, I'm Cameron."

She laughed shaking my hand. "It's fine, I'm Emani. Where would you like for me to set up?"

Since I can't do it, I arranged for a masseuse to come by the house to give Bri a massage. This is just part one of showing my gratitude. I feel like this will ease her mind for just a little. I winced and shifted my footing. "You can set up in the middle over there Jabari move the coffee table."

"Where's Bri?" Jabari walked around and slid the coffee table over towards the wall.

"Upstairs with her sisters. I'm going to call her down in a minute. I'm about to sit down." I walked over to the recliner that Bri has in the corner.

"Please do that."

I threw my hand up at Jabari and pulled my phone out and sent Brielle a text.

come here mama.
10:30pm

alaya 💍: here I come.
you need anything from up here?
10:32pm

no, just get naked and put a robe on.
10:32pm

alaya💍: I—
10:33pm

I laughed at her message. I looked at over at Jabari and shook my head. Nigga was in the kitchen eating the leftovers. Bri and I had a taste for pasta, so she baked us some ziti. "Nigga get the fuck out the kitchen."