twenty-one.

Brielle A. Jones

Dallas, Texas
2020

After Cameron and I woke up from our nap, we took showers—separate of course. After we got dressed, we took a vote on what I was cooking. Cam argued for lamb chops and mashed potatoes, while I objected for honey garlic salmon and yellow rice. Since we couldn't decide, I brought Jabari into the equation and he sided with me.

So that resulted into all of us climbing into Cam's Range, with me driving. Shocking to say the least. I was shocked when he threw me the keys. Y'all know niggas don't play about their vehicles!

"I can't believe you letting her drive the whip already." Jabari called from the back seat. I shook my head, because I couldn't believe it either.

"Mind your business bro." Cameron chuckled.

I shook my head and switched lanes. Approaching a red light, I looked to my right and was met with Cam's brown orbs. I shook my head and presented a small smile. "What?"

He shook his head smirking. "Nothing, just admiring what's in front of me."

I blushed hiding my face.

"Hate to break up y'all little moment, but the light is green." Jabari leaned up over the console. I elbowed him and sped off knocking him back into the seat.

About ten minutes later I was pulling in the parking of lot of Walmart. My favorite store besides Sam's. Luckily I found a park not too far from the door. Everybody know it's impossible to find a good park at Walmart. I pulled in and killed the engine. Removing my seatbelt, I turned in the seat and point my finger. "I need the both of you to behave. Last time we was here, we almost got put out. Let's be in and out."

Cameron held his hands up in a surrendering motion. "Hey! That was not my fault. Talk to the child in the backseat."

"He's your best-friend so it makes it your fault too. Now let's go." I reached into the armrest and grabbed my wristlet sliding the keys inside. I opened the door and jumped down. I waited on dumb and dumber and started walking towards the front once I heard the two doors shut.

My heart has been so heavy since I had that conversation with Cameron. He's a prime example that domestic violence works both ways. It's only been two months and I know this man has a heart of gold. Never would I have thought that someone like him went through something so traumatic. That goes to show no matter how bright ones smile is, there's a story behind it.

My baby is so strong. I just hate he had to experience that. Nobody deserved to be treated as such, especially by their significant other. That's why I'm going to do everything in my power to show him how he should be treated.

Breaking from my thoughts. I took attention that my name was being called. I stopped walking only to bumped from behind.

"You good?" I turned around and saw Cameron posted up behind me.

I smiled shaking my head. "Yea. Just thinking about some things."

"I still can't believe you're wearing the leggings Alaya." Cameron had a small frown on his face causing Jabari to whistle.

"Uh oh and that's my cue to walk away." He pushed the buggy walking around us.

I laughed and folded my arms across my chest. "You thought I was playing? May the best print win sir." I patted his chest and walked off.