"I saw myself."

Random question of the day: Who's your favorite Marvel character?

I dont know why I've started using "She" and "Her" instead of "You" and all that good stuff, but yk, cool ig. This is also a bit rushed and unedited so, yeah.

Bucky dosen't usually take drives, let alone at night. But because Tony called the Avengers for a late night major mission case, he was forced to drive himself and Y/n back to New York from Chicago. Y/n wanted a vacation, far from the life of danger, and somehow managed to end up in Chicago with her boyfriend. Now, she was practically passed out in the passengers seat, snuggled up to Bucky's arm, and subconsciously holding his hand as well.

Normally, Bucky would try and get her in the back where there's more room to be comfortable, but she refused to move from that spot everytime. His only option was to let her be and focus on getting them home, all while trying to stay awake himself. After a few minutes, he was starting to get bored. He tried listening to the radio, he tried counting road signs, playing eye-spy, and even just relaxing. None of which helped him cure his boredom. Sighing out of defeat, Bucky decided to relax and take the drive slow since he's got another 7 hours of driving. The highway was practically empty, the only thing showing up were road signs and highway lights. Just as Bucky was officially about to give up on not being bored, he saw himself. It wasn't like he was looking in the front mirror or the side, but he was looking at the highway at himself. Quickly, Bucky pressed on the brakes and held you back from jerking forward. You shot awake with a small yelp, grabbing onto Bucky's arm.

"Jesus Christ!" You shouted, taking deep breaths, "What was that?"

"Don't look," Bucky stared straight ahead of him, watching the man with intent, "Just keep your head down."

"Bucky, you're scaring me. Stop it." You nervously swallowed, holding onto his arm tighter.

"Just, keep your head down, Y/n. Don't move."

Bucky was about to step on the gas when the man pulled out a knife, the metal arm glistening under the moonlight. Only making him that much scarier.

"Shit." Bucky mumbled, putting the car in reverse and speeding back, "Tell me what you see, Y/n."

"What? You just told me not to look up!" You retorted, looking over at him.

"Well now I'm saying look up and tell me!" He gritted his teeth, "What's it doing?"

"Uhm," You fumble to look out the window, noticing a figure in the distance, "He's just standing there."

"That's it?"

"Yeah. Just...standing there."

Stopping the car, Bucky looked out the window, noticing indeed that he was just standing there. Sighing heavily through his nose, he was about to turn around when a faint beeping was heard. Slowly, you turned around, hearing the noise as well. It only took a second to realize what that beeping was. Your eyes grew wide along with Bucky's, immediately reaching for him. The backend of the car exploded, only giving both of you less if a chance to grab onto each other. The car flew off the edge of the highway, falling down to the edge of rocks below you two. With a loud 'crash', the car landed upside down then rolled over upright. Banged up and leaking massive amount of oil. Bucky kicked the door open, coughing and groaning as he limped out the now useless vehicle.

"Doll." Bucky's voice strained, "Y/n! Doll, can you hear me?"

"Bucky!" You cried back, desperately trying to get out the backseat floor, "Bucky! I can't get out, the roof—"

When you cut off, Bucky started worrying more. Sucking in a breath, he reached the backseat and pulled the door off, relived to see your face. You were caught between the roof of the car and the floor, the metal from the roof caved in around your lower half.

"I can't move." You started to panic, "Bucky, I can't move. I can't move!"

"Okay, it's okay. I got you. Just calm down and be still for me, okay?" Bucky asked, trying to get you out the wedged space, "Just let me handle this. I've got you."

Using his metal arm, Bucky pried the roof off with some ease. He tried to pick you up out the creases of the floor, but your short scream immediately made him stop. He looked over you, noticing a metal shard going through your leg. Most likely from the way the roof caved over your lower half.

"Shit." You hissed, looking down at your leg, "Ah, that's bad."

"Mm, let's look on the bright side, yeah?" Bucky gave a half smile, holding your leg.

"And what's tha—FUCK."

Bucky had already tore off the top of the shard, only to lift your leg quickly. He took a peice of your already cut jacket and wrapped it around your leg, stopping the bleeding for the moment.

"That you're free now." He gave a small chuckle, slowly helping you up.

"Are you okay?" You asked, leaning against the car.

"Uh, well, a car crash isn't the worst that's happened to me, but I'm okay. I think." He checked himself, finding nothing but brusied ribs and skin, "Here, hop on. We've got to get in touch with Steve and the rest."

Of course he was hurt. Sure, a car crash wasn't the worst that's ever happened to him, but that didn't mean he wasn't hurt. He wasn't going to think about himself without knowing you were okay and safe, nor was he going to let you know that he was hurt. You hopped on his back, wrapping your arms securely around his neck. Bucky gently placed his arms under your thighs, making sure you were comfortable. As he moved throughout the forest, you tried getting in touch with Steve or Tony, or anyone. You got one message through, hopping it was sent to someone at the Tower who could help.

"Who was that? Back on the highway?" You spoke up, cutting the silence.

"I don't know. But he looked like...me." Bucky mumbled, careful stepping over a tree.

"You? As in...you you or...wait...huh?"

"I don't know. I just know," Bucky sighed, stopping and looking back at the highway.

You looked back with him, seeing the figure start to walk away from the edge.

"I saw myself."