Smiles

I'm back :)
Oml I love you all so so so so much 🫶🏼

Full hearted, real, and a genuine smile.

Bucky hasn't seen that in a very long time for you. You've given a few smiles here and there, small and real ones too. But that smile, the one when he asked you out, or when you realized you didn't spend your birthday alone, that one. He wants that one to come back but he doesn't know how.

He's tried everything possible, from watching movies together with your favorite food to taking you to the lab where you like to make creative inventions. There was a smile but it wasn't big enough, it wasn't what he was looking for. He knows you haven't been in such a happy state in a long time, which means it's taken a toll on you. The small gray clouds that linger in your sky are visible, yet not covering the blue in such a sad mood to be worried about. After a while, you seem to convince yourself that nothing else can make you glow with happiness the way you used too. Bucky knows it's all the stress from missions, never ending assignments, watching over Peter now, not that you don't love him, and so on and so forth. He's determined though, he's set his whole day as a mission to get you to smile.

"Y/n," Sam nudged your shoulder, jerking his head to the kitchen table, "You ready to eat? Wanda made her favorite dish and oh god, we're gonna need more of it."

You scoffed out a laugh, standing up and tucking your phone in your back pocket, "Yeah, I guess. That sandwich didn't really do any damage to my hunger."

"Great," He clapped, skipping over to his seat with you trailing behind him.

You took a seat near the end of the table and waited for mostly everyone else to get there before you grabbed a plate. It was chaotic, everyone was loud and laughing, some food was thrown much to Wanda's annoyance, but it was your home. You wouldn't trade any of this for the damn world.

"Hey, pass me the salt!" Steve patted the table to get anyone's attention.

"Are you saying my cooking is flavorless? So much so that you need salt?" Wanda threatened, grabbing the salt and tossing it too him.

"Yes, that's exactly what he's saying— OW!" Tony grabbed his arm, rubbing the spot where Steve poked him hard with a fork, "What? It's what you implied not me!"

"That's not what I meant though, right Wanda? You know that," Steve smiled, shaking his head.

"I want back up," Tony mumbled, looking around the table, "I'm right though, right Y/n?"

Your head shot up, looking from the person you were texting to Tony, "What? What are you right about? It's hardly anything."

"Mhm," Pepper softly agreed with you, both of you chuckling and high-fiving under the table, "You're wrong Tony, Steve said that's not what he meant."

"That's not fair!" He whined, "Where's my backup?"

"Not here," Sam laughed, causing the whole table to chuckle.

Tony pouted in his seat, deciding to push some food around his plate with his fork. Natasha smiled a little while patting Tony's back. Of course it was all fun and games, everyone had their turn. Last night it was Clint's turn to get ganged up on at the table, which ended in a food fight that you, Steve, Peter, and Bucky had to clean up for not participating. Tomorrow night is a collective agreement of Sam's turn, which he does not know about. After everyone finished and pitched in to clean up, you went to change for the bonfire Tony was setting up for the night. It was peaceful out, the stars seemed to shine a little brighter tonight, and a slight breeze made everyone so much better. You found yourself starting out your balcony, just watching the sky.

"Hey, doll." A kiss was placed at the top of your head, and arms wrapped around your middle, "Beautiful, hm?"

"Very." You smiled, leaning back into Bucky's chest, "You coming to the bonfire? Me and Nat plan to scare everyone with horror stories tonight. Based on true events kinda thing."

"Oh," Bucky sighed out, "Absolutely not then. Based on true events are the worst, I'll go but as soon as you or Nat say anything spooky I'm out."

You laughed, turning slightly to the side so your face to face with him, "Big and Bad Barnes? Scared of a little story?"

"I'm not scared of scary stories, just true ones." He smiled brightly, kissing you softly and pecking your nose.

Tony called everyone down via Jarvis to say that everything was in place. Your heart felt full in these kind of moments, knowing that whatever was going to happen at the fire would be memories treasured. Bucky leaned down to give you one more kiss, spinning you around first as you squeaked out a laugh. It wasn't rushed but full of passion and love, pouring every ounce of admiration you both had into the kiss.

"I love you, babydoll. So so so much," He phrased against your lips, connecting your foreheads together, "Don't you ever forget it, okay?"

You smiled. A big, goofy, genuine smile that made your eyes sparkle with happiness. There it was, that smile. Bucky mirrored that smile himself, he came to the conclusion a while ago that the only moments he could see your toothy grin was anytime he said 'I love you'. He was giddy inside to know that he made you feel this way, and he hopes that it never goes away for anything.

"I love you too, Bucky, way more than you can imagine."

That was the day Bucky decided that he'd spend the rest of his life making you smile. No matter how many times he had to say I love you, he'd say it. He'd write it on his door, he'd text it to you a million times, he'd even take the damn moon and write it down there forever.

Just for you.