Layers of Cake

I order us a Taxi, and we wait outside. Lizzie holds my hand while we wait. It's really cold outside so I put my arm around her holding her closer to me.

"So our big escape is to Jame's house ?", she asks and I nod.
"His family is pretty awesome, you'll love them", I reassure her.
"I'll finally get to meet that wife of his...", she tells me and laugh, the taxi pulls up and we get in on our way to James.

In the taxi, Lizzie is still holding my hand as we both stare out the window. Somewhere along the ride I feel her stare at me so I look back at her.
"Everything go okay with Mellissa ?", she asked.
"Yeah, I think we will be alright. Maybe them crashing the party wasn't such a bad thing after all.", I tell her and she smiles. Just pulling up in front of James house. I grab my walkie talkie and signal him.

"Eagle 1, come in, eagle 2 had arrived. Over and out", I tell him and he responds, "alright I'll come outside !", "Wait sorry!", "Eagle 1, heading outside, over and out". Lizzie laughs at the childish interaction and I nudge her.
"Don't laugh ! You are just jealous. I'd totally get us one but I think we are to far away.", I say.
"It's okay I'll stick to the phone", she tells me sticking out her tongue at me as James walks outside.

"Hey ! Merry Christmas y/n and Lizzie", he says pulling us in for a hug.
"Let's get you inside! You hungry ?", he asked
"Starved actually, y/n ordered had snacks but no real food", Lizzie tells him and he laughs and we walk inside his house.

"The girls are asleep so it's just me and Elle", he tells us opening the door. Lizzie has a nervous look on her face so I take her hand as Elle walks out the kitchen.

"Y/n! Lovely to have you back sweetie, Merry Christmas.", she says pulling me for a hug, I let go of Lizzie's hand. Once I pull away from Elle.
She greets Lizzie.

"Elizabeth Olsen right?", she says
"Yeah, nice to meet you!", Lizzie goes for a handshake and Elle pulls her in for a hug.
"We are huggers !", she says and I just hear James laugh behind me. "It's true, she is a hugger", he says. We walk over to the kitchen table and sit down.

"Y/n help me in the kitchen ?", elle asked.
"Yeah sure", I tell her following her to the kitchen. Leaving Lizzie and James together at the table.

"What do you need help with ?", I ask her and she gives me a smile, starting to prep some plates of food and I wait.

"So is Elizabeth your...complicated ?", she asked and I just smile at her, she smiles back turning her attention back to the food.
"She is beautiful in person I've seen the movies but wow", she tells me and I feel a wave of warmth fill my cheeks. 
"Yeah she is", I say, and Elle just hums.
"So you are waiting?", she asked.
"I suppose we made a promise to each other that we will get there someday", I tell her and I show her the ring.
"You know sometimes love isn't just I love you's some people like to show love in different ways.", she says. "Yeah I know", I tell her looking at my ring. "Let's go eat", she hands me plates and we walk to the dinner table. I hand Lizzie her plate and set mine down. Elle does the same with James.

"The walkie talkies ? Your idea ?", Elle asks and I nod my head as I chew my food.
"James will never admit it but it's his favorite gift, he isn't that close with siblings. So thank you y/n for not just being a client but a friend to him", she says and I look at James and smile.

"How long have you guys been together?", Lizzie asks.
"20 years, and only married for 2 of those years", Elle tells us and I almost choke on my food.
"James ? You didn't put a ring on it until 2 years ago ?!", I tell him and they just laugh. Lizzie had the same reaction as me and we look at eachother in shock.

"Actually I didn't put a ring on it, she put the ring on me", he tells us.
"Details ?!", Lizzie says.
"What she said", I add on.
"We dated and then got serious, we made it official and kept it only at official. You know I hoped he would propose after the 4th year at least, but then we had kids. He was always traveling because of his job, and I had my restaurant to run. 14 years later, I got tired waiting. I love him of course, again I could've gone the rest of my life without being marriage because it was him. He is the bravest man in the world but he was never going to grow the balls to do it, so I did it myself. I got the ring and I proposed to him.", she tells us.