|33|

thirty three
_____________________

Brie sat at her desk that night finishing up an English essay she had due when her phone rang.

She groaned and checked the caller ID and saw it was only Stiles so she answered it without hesitation.

"Yo," she greeted into the phone. "Did you finished that English essay? It's due tomorrow and knowing you-"

"I may be one of the worst sons in the history of the world right now," Stiles cut her off, panicking slightly.

"What? Why?" Brie asked, closing her laptop. "What did you do?"

"Can you come over?" Stiles asked and she could hear his hurt tone. "I'll explain everything when you get here."

"Yeah," she responded without a doubt and started putting on her jacket. "I'll be right over."

"Thank you," he sighed.

"Yeah, no problem," she said hanging up the phone and making her way downstairs. She prayed her mother wasn't in the sitting room so she wouldn't have to pass her.

Fortunately, she wasn't in the sitting room. Unfortunately, she was in the kitchen.

"Where you running off to?" she asked as she washed a few dirty dishes.

Brie stopped in her tracks and turned to face her. "To Stiles' house," she answered, not bothering to come up with a lie but she didn't need to say the whole truth. "He just called saying he needed me to come over to help him with our English essay."

"Doesn't he get better grades then you in that class?" she asked suspiciously. "I mean, no offence."

"None taken," the younger girl replied, itching to get out the door. "He's not very good at focusing. You know, ADHD and stuff."

"Yeah," her mother nodded she paused for a moment before continuing. "Are you sure you're doing okay lately?"

Brie looked up at the woman. "Yeah, why?"

"I just feel as though we don't get to talk as much as we used to," she sighed. "And you seem to stressed lately."

"Yeah well, I've just been super busy with school and stuff," Brie excused.

"I understand," Jenny placed her hand over her daughters in comfort. "So, Winter Formal coming up. Have you got a date yet?"

"No, I think I might just go with some friends," she replied quickly before backing away. "I'm sorry but I've just really got to get going-"

"What about Stiles?" she asked, ignoring her daughter. "Has he got a date yet?"

Brie paused. "Not that I know of," she replied slowly.

Jenny smiled. "Why don't you two go together?" she asked, faking innocence. "You know, as friends of course."

Brie made her way to the door. "I really need to go, mom. I'll be back later, okay?"

"Okay, sweetheart," she turned back to the dishes. "Don't stay out too late."

~~~~

She made it over to the Stilinski household and say that Stiles was already outside waiting for her. She got out of her mothers car and made her way up to him.

"Is everything okay?" she asked, seeing the look on his face. "What's wrong?"

"I gave my dad a shit ton of whiskey so that he would tell me what's going on with the investigation" he spoke quickly. "But then he started saying how he missed talking to me and how he missed my mom and-" his voice cracked. "And now I feel super shitty."