Bitter & salty

Jisung's pov:

For our day together. Hyunjin had actually cooked.

The recipe book was still on the counter. Together with all the used ustensiles.

I checked the fridge to discover his dishes, badly put out in containers either too big or too small.

One of his dishes was still out on the stove, probably to cool down.

Images of Hyunjin suddenly sparked in my head as started taking everything out of the fridge:

Hyunjin putting great efforts into all these preparations. Expecting me to be impressed.

Hyunjin using all the wrong ustensiles for his recipes but keeping it going.

Hyunjin then receiving my message saying I couldn't come in the end, because I had to save an inexistant relationship.

Then, Hyunjin getting angry, so angry that he doesn't notice the absence of his bodyguards...until too late.

All these images kept running in circles in my head, while I proceeded to eat the entirety of what Hyunjin had prepared for us. Determined to not leave any crumbs.

While eating, I wondered for a moment why the dish had suddenly become so salty.

I then looked down at my plate, and saw that my tears had filled it up.

🌸

After Hyunjin's death, things went back to normal.

The director came in Jisung's class to explain that Hyunjin's father had called to say he had removed his son from this school to send him abroad.

No one asked any questions. Not even Jisung's friends. Not even Elena. As if Hyunjin had never been.

No one ever knew for Hyunjin and Jisung's relationship, and no one would ever know.

Jisung went back to the cheerful and carefree boy he had always been, and never evoked Hyunjin again, if not when alone, in the dark of his room, with a hand on his heart.

In the end, Hyunjin, the boy whose dad abandoned to the hands of a gangster group to save his own head.
Who never experienced real freedom in his life.
Who couldn't live long enough to even graduate High school.
This Hyunjin, who was so pitiful the gangsters who had beat him to shreds didn't feel like finishing him up...

Well, this Hyunjin, thanks to meeting his Jisung, still died with the knowledge of what a loving family was.
This Hyunjin still experienced friendship and warmth.
This Hyunjin was able to truthfully say "I love you" to someone before his end.
This Hyunjin died with a smile on his face and his hand in someone else's, knowing that he would forever be remembered fondly by his one and only.