One Of Those Days

Aurora's P.O.V.

"I hope you all find students are ready for our weekly fencing exercise." Gilderoy Lockhart announces while getting on the long combat table. Making an overly nauseous smile, he takes out his wand and paces on top of the table. "Have no fear. We'll try to give people who haven't tried yet a turn today."

The third-year students crowd around the table, watching and listening to him with awe. I've heard he's written true novels about his life and made a fortune from them. Yet, after seeing what he did to Harry during a Quidditch game and how he teaches.

I've been suspecting he's a better writer than a wizard. I'm leaning on a wall, not daring to push my way into the crowd of students. Every week, Lockhart spends one class day teaching us how to spar one another.

I don't truly understand how he got the position for the Defense of the Dark Arts teacher. But I hope to God he leaves after this year like the last guy. Quietly watching him pacing, I hear him asks teasingly.

"Now, which one of you younglings wants to dare and try first."

I see a bunch of hands go up first, but I keep mine at my sides. I've been on the other end of a wand too many times to want to do it as practice. Courtesy of Fred and George, of course. Lockhart glances around him, grinning from all the hands. He has yet to pick, and I believe it's from enjoying the excited of the students.

"You don't want to go first, Rora?" Benjamin, a Slytherin my age, speaks up, forcing me to look his way. Smiling teasingly, he calls out to me rather loudly. "Too afraid without your boyfriends here?"

"Hey, now." Lockhart chuckles while pointing at him. "Don't hate a player... Hate the game." Turning to me, our professor smirks and shrugs too. "I too am something of a heartbreaker." I hold back my eyes from rolling back in my head as he continues. "Why don't you come up here, Ms. Granger. Give it a try... There are plenty of young men here to impress."

"She only likes to impress Weasley men, sir."

Benjamin adds joking, and it finally makes me stand up straight. I see a bunch of eyes on me as I walk toward the table. Passing him, I smirk while grabbing the back of his shirt and pulling him to the edge of the table. Lockhart's eyes go wide and spin around the table.

"I believe the heartbreaker has picked an opponent herself."

Getting on top of the table, I watch him jump on, grinning ear to ear. Facing one another in the center, we lift our wands. Turning around, we walk separate ways on the table. When we're far enough apart, we turn around and take our stance. We wait for our professor to count down to one. When he does, Benjamin immediately casts a spell. It hits me before I can block it and fall onto my back. I hear a few kids giggling as I stand back on my feet. When seeing Benjamin's shit-eating grin, I wave my wand and cast a spell.

"Duro!"

His eyes go wide as he realizes what the spell does, but by time, he realizes it's too late. I hit him and he immediately stiffens and slowly turns into solid rock. I notice Lockhart's eyes bug out as Benjamin before complete stone. Snorting with a smile, I step down from the table. Lockhart runs to the stone, Benjamin shouts to me.

"Undo the spell, Granger!"

"I don't know how to undo it. I'm only a student..." I laugh, amused, while shrugging my shoulders. "You're our professor."

Lockhart snaps his head toward me, and I tilt my head, appearing clueless. I truly don't know how to get him out of the spell. I've done the charm on a bunch of mice, but I keep them for paper weights. Everyone crowds around Lockhart and Benjamin now. Smiling to myself, I find a seat that's no longer in the crowd and sit down patiently to watch them all panic.