eight

Just hanging at the convenience store was boring for Areum and Heeseung. Their legs unconsciously brought them to a park nearby. Colourful fairy lights brightened the path for them.

The park was ideal for couples to go on a date. Heeseung looked around, admiring the colourful lights and flowers along the pathway.

He looked at Areum who was walking next to him. She hugged herself as she exhaled heavily to keep herself warm. His hand reached for hers before putting it into his pocket. He intertwined his hand with hers as he held it tightly.

Her eyes widened, "What are you doing?"

"You're cold. Just stay close," he cleared his throat shyly as he avoided her gaze. She wanted to pull away but eventually gave in. Her cheeks slowly became warmer as they turned into red colour.

They both kept walking until they saw a couple who were having a serious conversation. The man suddenly kneeled as he took out a small box from his pocket. The woman gasped as she cupped her mouth, shocked and excited.

"Will you marry me?"

"Yes!"

Areum's lips curved into a smile, admiring the sweet couple who just decided to spend the rest of their lives together.

"She's so lucky," she muttered under her breath. Heeseung heard her and averted his gaze at her, seeing her doe eyes watching the engaged couple talking happily.

"Do you want your spouse to propose like that too?" He asked out of the blue. She thought for a while, "It's quite romantic. I would love to experience that."

"Okay. I'll remember," he muttered before walking ahead of her. She arched an eyebrow, hoping to hear the words wrong.

"Yah!" She called for him with full confusion.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Beomgyu sighed, feeling tired after sitting on the couch in his room for almost 2 hours. His hands were holding the beanie he knitted so carefully. It was almost winter and he wanted to give the beanie to Areum to keep her warm.

He smiled to himself, imagining her expression when she receives the gift. His room door was knocked before opening, revealing his mother who walked in with a plate of cookies.

"Mom," he called before fixing his posture. Mrs Choi smiled and placed the plate on the coffee table in front of them.

"Is that for Areum?" She asked. He nodded, "Yeah. She liked the scarf I knitted for her so I thought maybe I should give her a beanie."

"You shouldn't put in so much effort to impress a girl, Beomgyu. I don't want you to get hurt in the end."

"But mom–"

"Beomgyu-yah, if she likes you then it's okay. But what if she doesn't like you more than a friend? All these efforts would go to waste. I don't want to see you get hurt," she said as she took the beanie away from him. Mrs Choi put the beanie on the table before giving him her full attention.

Beomgyu thought about it for a while before leaning back against the couch.

"Even if she doesn't like me back, seeing her happy makes me happy. And that's already enough for me, mom," he smiled back to his mother to assure her that he was fine.

The truth was, he was contemplating his mother's words. What would he do when she rejects him? He had liked her ever since he first met her. The way she greeted the whole class and introduced herself.

His heart was beating uncontrollably fast that day. He tried to avoid her eye contact by reading his textbook but her voice made his heart melt. When she was about to go to her desk, he watched as she took slow steps to the seat next to Heeseung.

"I just want you to remember that there are plenty of fishes in the sea. Don't be sad, okay?" Mrs Choi said before leaving his bedroom.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

"Thank you for walking me home. Again," Areum blushed as she slowly pulled her hand away from Heeseung's hoodie pocket.

He cleared his throat before looking around, "I think I should go."

He was about to walk away when she called him, "Wait!"

He gave her a confused look as she scurried towards him. "I just wanted to say thank you for bringing me to the park. I never knew there was a beautiful place like that," she lowered her gaze.

"Tell me anytime if you want to go there again," he smiled before turning around to walk away.

She fiddled with her fingers nervously, "Lee Heeseung."

He hummed in response, waiting for her to speak.

"I think..." she paused.

"I love you," she continued.