twenty-one

"When are you going to give back the scarf that I gave you?" Areum asked as she read her book. Heeseung hasn't returned the scarf that she gave during the rain.

He smiled, "I'm going to keep it until I don't need it anymore."

"What do you mean?" She frowned before closing her book. "If we ever break up, I'll keep it with me so that you'll know I still love you," he answered.

She blushed and rested her head on his shoulder, "Then, make sure to keep it carefully so that it won't rip or anything."

"I promise."

Heeseung fidgeted in his bed frustratedly. He didn't know why he thought of that stupid promise he made with Areum. He couldn't sleep and the clock already struck five in the morning. He had to go to work in two hours.

"Why did I even keep it?" He asked himself before closing his eyes. He gave up and got off the bed, walking to his closet. He searched for a box that he hid behind the pile of his old clothes.

He breathed out heavily, feeling his chest starting to tighten. He saw his school uniform that was neatly folded. He rummaged through the box and saw a picture frame of him, Areum and Beomgyu.

The three of them were eating at the school field happily, taking a selfie. He smiled to himself and put the frame down.

I can't turn back time, can I?

He sighed and put back all the things into the box. He put the box back to the place he found it before going back to his bed.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

"How dare you?!" Mr Joo slapped Areum's cheek hard. She breathed out and held her cheek that was already in pain.

Mrs Joo sat on the bed next to her son, watching her husband slap her daughter continuously. "I thought I told you not to tell the reporters! How can I win the presidential election now?!" Mr Joo continued as he held both of the detective's shoulders.

She gave him a death stare, thinking of how many ways for her to kill him. She just wanted to shoot him with her new gun but didn't want to cause a scene. The parents of the ten dead children would hear the gunshot.

"I told you, I didn't tell the reporters. If you don't have anything else to say, please leave. You're interrupting the questioning process."

Mr Joo laughed sarcastically. He ran his fingers through his hair, feeling stressed and annoyed.

"Jung Areum. We need to talk," his wife ordered before leaving the room. Areum glanced at Minhyuk who was giving her a concerned look.

She gave him an assuring nod before following her mother outside.

"What is it?" She asked as her mother stopped walking. Mrs Joo clenched her jaw and turned around before slapping her hard in the face.

Areum cupped her cheek, feeling the pain increase. Mrs Joo slapped the other cheek. This time, a little bit harder.

"Mrs Joo."

"You did this on purpose, didn't you?" The older lady asked. "I said I didn't do it. I didn't do it! How many times do I have to tell you? I'm too busy with the investigations and all you do is blame me," Areum argued back, feeling her anger boiling inside her chest.

"You did this because I married my husband, didn't you? You know how important this presidential election is to him and me. How dare you ruin it for us?!"

Areum scoffed and clapped her hands, feeling amused with her mother's reaction.

"So you married him for wealth and power? Wow, mother."

"Shut up."

"What if Mr Joo fails to even win the election? Are you going to cry and go back to my dad?"

Mrs Joo looked away and breathed out heavily as she tightened her grip around her expensive handbag.

"I see," Areum trailed off, "You know, mother. You are so pathetic, right now. I'm sure you didn't do anything wrong so why are you scared? If the reporters found out your son didn't even kill anyone, wouldn't your husband's reputation still be okay?"

She approached Mrs Joo slowly, "What did you do, mother? What are you hiding?"

"Areum, I have money and power now. You being my daughter doesn't matter anymore. Don't test me or I will get rid of you," the older woman said before stomping back into her son's room.

What are you hiding, mother?