forty-nine

"He's in there," Sunghoon said as he led Areum to the mortuary. Her startled eyes widened at the sight of Beomgyu's blue body in the middle of the room.

Her hands trembled as she touched his hand, "Beomgyu-yah."

No response. She burst into tears and held his hand before putting it against her cheek, "Beomgyu-yah."

Still no response. She closed her eyes and let go of his hand. She moved the strands of his hair that was blocking his face. She caressed his cheek, tracing his facial features.

Sunghoon wiped a tear that escaped from his eye and left the room to give her some privacy. "It's my fault for not taking care of you. I didn't know you were suffering all this time. You didn't have to bear the pain alone," she sobbed.

"I'm so sorry, Beomgyu. For everything."

She looked at his hand and saw the wound when she shot his hand. She traced the wound and looked away, blinking her tears away.

She put the blanket back on his face before stepping out of the mortuary. Sunghoon was waiting for her. He immediately held her for support since her legs became weak.

"Where is Heeseung?" She muttered. He walked her through the hallway, "He's at the rooftop. I'll walk you there. You're weak now."

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Heeseung inhaled the fresh open air as he drank banana milk. It was Beomgyu and Areum's favourite milk flavour. He clenched the bottle tightly and watched as it crumpled.

"You're a jerk for leaving me, Beomgyu," he muttered.

The door to the rooftop opened, revealing Sunghoon helping Areum walk towards him. His eyes widened, "Areum-ah!"

He immediately held her in his arms when she almost fell. Sunghoon sighed, "She's still in shock after the news. Take care of her," he said before leaving them.

She sat on the floor and held Heeseung's chest, letting her tears fall out. He hugged her and patted her back in a comforting manner.

"He didn't even tell us he was in pain all along," she muttered quietly. His heart shattered into pieces at her words. He rested his chin on her shoulder and closed his eyes, feeling his tears threatening to come out.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

╔═══════════════════╗
three months later.
╚═══════════════════╝

"Look at his smile!" Daera exclaimed as she held Daehyun who was giggling. Jiah frowned as she sat on Areum's lap. "It's my aunty," the little girl mumbled.

Areum chuckled and hugged her, resting her head on Jiah's shoulder. Daera put Daehyun down before facing Areum, "You've been dating Heeseung for so long now. When are you guys getting married?"

"What do you mean? It's not that long," the detective chuckled nervously, trying to avoid the topic. She also thought of the question numerous times.

When is Heeseung going to propose to me?

Her lips curved into a frown as she thought about the question over and over again. Daera noticed and sighed, "I remember when Jay and I got engaged."

"What happened?"

"Well," Daera thought about the embarrassing proposal. How they both wanted to propose to each other but then the proposal turned into an epic fail.

"I was about to propose to him because he was taking so long. I didn't know he was going to propose on the same day. He even bought me a diamond ring. And I gave him a stupid paper ring that doesn't even fit his finger."

Areum laughed, "Paper ring?"

"I didn't have the time to find an engagement ring. I wonder if he still keeps it."

"He does! He pasted it in his notebook," Jiah said as she played with her surgeon aunt's phone.

"You have a romantic husband," Areum said. Daera scoffed, "Do you know how long I've waited for Jay to step up and confess to me again? I had to confess to him first. My pride," she sighed and looked away.