twelve

"Areum!" Mrs Jung called before entering her stepdaughter's bedroom. Areum groaned out of annoyance, moving on her bed to get a better position.

"Areum, Heeseung is waiting for you in the living room," Mrs Jung said as she patted her stepdaughter's back.

Areum's eyes immediately opened. She immediately jumped out of bed before rushing out of the room. She saw Heeseung sitting in the living room, drinking a cup of tea.

He smiled at her before motioning her to next to him. She approached him, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm taking you out on a date."

"Really? We have an upcoming exam. Shouldn't we be studying?"

He exhaled heavily, his breaths started to tremble. His heart was slowly breaking into pieces. He clenched his fists to prevent tears from coming out, "Just get back into your room and change. We're leaving in 30 minutes."

She gave in and went into her room, too lazy to argue back.

Heeseung gulped down his saliva, blinking his eyes to get rid of the tears that were threatening to trickle down. He kept his eyes fixed on the teacup on the coffee table.

"Breakup with her. It's my order," his father's words still lingered in his mind.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

"Are you sure you're okay?" Areum asked again as she watched Heeseung take pictures of their drinks. Their first stop was her favourite cafe that she always goes to study.

"I'm fine. Drink your coffee before it gets cold."

She noticed that Heeseung was extra cheerful than he always was. She slowly drank her coffee, her eyes not leaving him.

"I'm seriously fine, Areum. Hurry up. I'm taking you somewhere else."

She smiled softly as she linked her arm with Heeseung. He led her to the park where they saw a couple getting engaged. It was beautiful at night with all the colourful fairy lights.

It looked more ethereal and magical in broad daylight. Butterflies danced around the flowers near the fountain. Couples were taking pictures near the swing.

Some even talked to each other near the flower pathway. Heeseung sighed, admiring the beautiful scenery.

She looked at him, observing his facial expression. He kept his composed straight face as he watched other couples spending their time. It was the side of him she had never seen before.

Nervousness started rising inside her. "Let's take a picture," she said before taking out her phone.

They both smiled in the picture and she could tell he was faking his smile.

"Okay, I've had enough of it. You're not telling me what's wrong. It seems like you have a lot in mind," Areum said sternly, annoyed that he was hiding something.

"Jung Areum," he spoke. There was no glint of happiness or comfort. His voice was cold and serious.

Her heart started beating a nervous rhythm. She tightened her grip around her phone and lowered her gaze.

"Let's break up."

Her heart dropped and started to break into pieces. She could internally hear it shattering. Areum looked at him with shocked eyes, tears slowly forming.

"Heeseung-ah."

"You really think I date you to love you? I'm just doing this to make you fail your exams. A son of a rich politician like me will never fall in love with you," he spat coldly.

Her fists started to clench. She looked at him with death glaring eyes, "You think that is going to ruin me? You're pathetic, Lee Heeseung."

"Jung Areum, you're just a disgusting girl who thinks she's ahead of everyone else just because she's smarter? It annoys the hell out of me and you think I will fall in love with you? Your ego is too high and that's why no one will ever love you."

Areum scoffed, "You took me out on a date just to crush me like this? You're pathetic, Lee Heeseung. I didn't know what changed your heart. Whether you are lying or saying the truth. I hate you."

He looked away and exhaled heavily. She sobbed and wiped her tears, "I hope I will never see you again. And if I do, I'll hit you so hard until your nose bleeds."

She bumped into his shoulder on purpose before walking away. Heeseung watched as her back started to fade in his sight.

He finally gave up and let the tears trickle down, I'm so sorry, Areum.

I have to make you hate me. You deserve someone better.