thirty-six

[ edited ]

Areum sipped on her soup, staying silent as she observed her parents' excited faces. She realised they both were happy that she and Heeseung got back together. The doctor next to her smiled to himself as he munched on his piece of chicken.

"I never expect you to become a neurosurgeon, Heeseung. I thought you wanted to become a detective," Mrs Jung asked as she placed a fried egg in his bowl.

The younger male bowed to thank her before swallowing the food in his mouth. "Before Areum and I graduated, she told me why she wanted to be a neurosurgeon in the first place. So I thought if I am one, I'll get to meet her again."

Areum put her chopsticks down and looked at her boyfriend in disbelief. She thought he wanted to be one because his father wants him to.

Mr Jung glanced at her daughter's face that turned gloomy. He recalled the time when he didn't let her be a neurosurgeon. Her head hung low as she took a deep breath.

He held his daughter's hand, "You've become a great detective, Areum. I'm sorry I didn't let you be a neurosurgeon."

She smiled softly and was about to say something until the doorbell rang. "I'll get it," she said before walking to the entrance door.

Her eyes widened at the sight of her mother flashing her a smile. A frown appeared on her face, "What the hell are you doing here?"

Mrs Joo exhaled heavily, "Is that a way to talk to your mother?"

"My real mother died fourteen years ago," Areum's words pierced through the woman's heart. Mrs Joo scoffed and looked away, "So that's how you think of me now. Dead."

The woman was about to step in before being pushed away by the detective. "What the hell? Did I say you can come in?"

"I need to see your father," Mrs Jung said as she tried to move her daughter to the side. Areum frustratedly gripped her mother's wrist before dragging her away from the entrance door.

"I'm sure dad doesn't even want to see you anymore. He resents the woman who left her daughter a lot. If I don't want you here, I'm sure dad does too."

"You have gotten so arrogant, Areum," Mrs Joo chuckled in amusement, "Dr Lee is your new boyfriend, huh? So quick. You're a whore."

Areum clenched her fists tightly, feeling the nails digging into her skin. Mrs Joo stepped closer to her, "It's funny how you hate me so much. You broke up with Beomgyu, a son of a famous wealthy businessman. And then, you move on to Lee Heeseung, a son of a politician who's running for president."

"What is your point?"

"All the guys that you dated are wealthy. And yet you called me desperate for money. We're no different, sweetie. You sure are my daughter."

Mrs Joo tucked a few strands of her daughter's hair behind her daughter's ear. Areum's jaw clenched as her chest started boiling with anger.

"We're different, Mrs Joo. Don't you dare come here ever again."

She was going to go back into the house until her mother's words stopped her, "Keep being a whore, Areum," she laughed.

Areum turned back around before slapping her mother in the face. Mrs Joo held her cheek in pain, "Did you just slap me?!"

The detective slapped her again, "You slapped me twice before. Shouldn't I do the same?"

"You bitch!"

"How dare you call my daughter a bitch!" Mr Jung walked out of the house after hearing ruckus. Heeseung followed behind him with Mrs Jung. Mrs Joo gave a death stare at the stepmother, "Is that the new mother that you cherish so much?"

She smacked her daughter's head continuously, trying to get an answer from her. "Stop it!" Mr Jung grabbed Areum's hand before pulling her behind him.

"You married a whore. Look what she did to our daughter. Areum became a whore too."

Mr Jung slapped his ex-wife, "Don't you call my daughter that. Don't you even call her your daughter. Her real mother died years ago. You have a new family. Forget that this family ever exists. I'm so disappointed in you."

Mrs Joo scoffed before turning around to leave. Areum smirked, "If you come here again to threaten my family just because you're powerful now, don't forget that I know your secrets."

"What secrets?"

"Secrets that can bring you and your family down. Stop testing my patience, Mrs Joo. I can do anything just by a snap of the fingers."

A lot of you guys are confused about Areum calling Heeseung her boyfriend 🥲 When I wrote chapter 33 where they kissed, Heeseung told her that he would take care of her. So I assumed you all know that they got back together. I'm sorry for the misunderstandings 😅 It is my fault that I didn't write it well. I'll make sure there are no more misunderstandings in the future <3