twenty-three

Areum stepped into her house, taking off her shoes. She smelled something delicious being cooked in the kitchen. She took slow steps to the kitchen and saw Beomgyu cooking dinner with a focused expression plastered on his face.

He heard her approaching him and immediately turned around, "You're here?" He flashed her a soft smile but immediately turned into a frown when he saw a cut under her eye.

"Who did this to you?" He turned off the stove and rushed towards her. She sighed and gave him an assuring smile, "It's just a small cut that I got from work. Don't worry."

He held her hand gently before leading her to the dining table. He took out a first-aid kit from one of the kitchen drawers.

He sat next to her and turned his chair to face her, "Your job is too dangerous, Areum."

"But I love my job."

He sighed as he treated the cut gently. "You should've gotten it treated immediately. Not just wash it with tap water."

"I didn't have much time," she fiddled with her fingers. He kept the tools and cotton balls away before pecking her forehead. He stood up and rolled his sleeves to his elbows, "Dinner will be ready in a few minutes."

She followed behind him before giving him a back hug. He widened his eyes in surprise, "What's this for?"

She closed her eyes as she inhaled his scent, he was using the cologne she bought for him. "You're rarely home. I just miss you," she said quietly.

"You know I have work. And we even have an upcoming project. I'm sorry," he said before turning around. He pulled her into his embrace and rested his chin on her head, "I've missed you too."

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

"Yes, Mrs Joo?" Beomgyu yawned as he sat up from the bed. He glanced at Areum who was still sleeping beside him. He moved a few strands of hair from her face before walking out of the room.

He held his phone tightly as he stared at the city view from the window, "Do you have any problems, Mrs Joo?"

"I believe we can't go on with the project, Mr Choi," the woman said at the other side of the call. He frowned, "Why?"

"I'm not that comfortable with that girlfriend of yours."

He widened his eyes, "How do you know who my–"

"I have money, Mr Choi. Do you think I don't do a background check with people before they collaborate with my company?"

He exhaled heavily, "What can I do to help you, Mrs Joo? I can even give you more money just to proceed with this project."

"Your girlfriend had shot my son and even accused me of killing the school students. I am very offended, Mr Choi. The fact that we both met at the hospital my son was in. I didn't know she was your girlfriend," the woman chuckled.

Beomgyu's heart dropped. He knew Areum was short-tempered. But he didn't expect her to shoot at his client's son.

"I'm so sorry, Mrs Joo," he clenched his jaw out of frustration. The call ended and he sat on the couch, Areum can't ruin this for me.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Areum opened her eyes slowly, seeing a manly figure sitting at the edge of the bed. "Beomgyu," she called softly.

The man didn't respond. She scooted closer to him and was about to hug him from behind but he avoided it. He stood up and ran his fingers through his hair.

"Areum."

Her heart started to pound in a nervous rhythm. She clenched the sheets tightly, waiting for him to scold her.

"Did you shoot Mrs Joo's son?" He asked. She looked at him, confusion plastered on her face, "How did you–"

"Jung Areum. Don't you know who Mrs Joo is? Don't you know why I keep coming home late or never at all?"

She flinched at the sudden rise in his voice. He scoffed and gripped her wrist roughly, "Tell me. What exactly happened?"

"She was forcing me to let her son go and that this case should be closed. You know it's my job to investigate and all but–"

"Can't you just let it go?" He asked out of the blue, earning her by surprise. "Beomgyu, ten students lost their lives and you just said this?"

"Mrs Joo and her husband are important for me, Areum. What if the project fails? We are going to earn a lot from this project, Areum-ah," he held both of her shoulders.

She smacked his hands off her, giving him a death stare. "She and her husband slapped me. Aren't you going to do anything?"

"Just...let them be. Don't do anything. Just try not to be a short-tempered person for once. You're going to ruin my plans," he said blankly before leaving the bedroom.

Her heart dropped at his words. Her head hung low as her eyes started forming tears, waiting to trickle down.