forty-five

Areum stared at herself in the mirror, still in the bathroom. She washed her hands once again, feeling uneasy. She wiped her hands with a tissue before throwing it into the bin.

Why is my chest tight right now?

Is something going to happen later?

The door suddenly got knocked. "Areum, are you in there?" Edlyn asked at the other side of the door. She unlocked the door and let the younger surgeon in.

"Is there something wrong? You've been in the toilet for almost 15 minutes."

Areum took deep breaths and washed her hands once again. Edlyn knew she was having a problem. She patted the detective's back, "You can talk to me if something's bothering you."

"I just miss Heeseung too much."

Edlyn's eyes lit up. She wanted to tell her that the man was already in the living room but she wanted Areum to see him by herself. She nodded slowly and listened as Areum started sharing her concerns and problems.

"After Heeseung's accident, I don't think I should continue my job as a detective."

"Wait, what?"

"Everyone around me keeps getting in danger. The last time we had a case to handle, my colleague almost got killed. And then, Ni-ki almost got splashed with a bucket of acid when we were hunting down a group of gangsters. And now, Heeseung."

"Things happen, Areum. You just happen to choose a dangerous job. But you're so good at it. Maybe you think you don't deserve to be a detective but I'm sure everyone else is glad that you chose this career path. Imagine your colleagues' reaction if you quit."

Areum smiled and nodded, "Thanks."

"And about Heeseung, he's fine. My husband went into a coma once and he woke up a bit late than Heeseung. As soon as he woke up, he asked for a baby."

The detective looked at the surgeon with surprised eyes. Edlyn smacked her arm gently, "Of course I refused. He just woke up from a coma."

They both laughed and got out of the toilet. Edlyn walked behind Areum because she wanted to see her reaction when she sees Heeseung.

The detective went to the living room and stopped in her tracks as soon as she saw the familiar male surgeon who she longed the most.

Lee Heeseung.

"Heeseung-ah," she muttered, her voice starting to become quieter. The male surgeon exchanged confused glances with Sunghoon and Jake.

"Who is she?" He asked. Areum's heart dropped. Her mind was thinking of so many things that are impossible to believe.

He didn't injure his head that much so how can he have amnesia?

Please, no...

Sunghoon held both of Heeseung's shoulders, "Heeseung-ah, are you okay?"

Heeseung flashed a smile and walked towards Areum, "I'm just messing with you."

He was about to hug her but stopped when she smacked his back hard. He winced in pain, "Areum! My back is still injured!"

"You deserve it, you bastard! You just gave me a heart attack!"

He wanted to run away but she kicked him hard in his ankle. He groaned in pain and sat on the couch, "Okay, okay! I'm sorry!"

"I will not forgive you for this," she said before walking towards Daera, ignoring his apologies.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Daera munched on her snack as she watched Areum and Heeseung being awkward with each other in the living room. She stood at the dining table, Sunghoon and Jay standing next to her.

"Do you really think they're going to end up with each other forever?" Sunghoon asked.

"What makes you think they're not going to?" She frowned. "They just argue a lot," he answered. Jay sighed and folded his arms, "Jake and Edlyn argue a lot and they're still married."

"Fine."

"Jiah is so going to make you her target once Heeseung and Areum get married," Daera smirked and fed herself a new snack. Jay laughed and looked at Sunghoon, seeing him already giving a death stare.

"Fine, fine. Tease me all you want. It's not my fault that the girl I like suddenly disappeared."

"If you guys are meant for each other then fate will always make you cross paths with her again. Just like how fate did with Heeseung and Areum," Daera said.

Heeseung and Areum suddenly went out of the house, earning surprised looks from the other people. Jake grabbed Edlyn's hand as they both scurried to the door.

"Excuse me, where are you going?" Jay frowned. "To the surveillance room?" His sister muttered.

"I'm coming," Sunghoon said before following them, "Aren't you guys coming?"

"Wait for me," Daera said before taking another packet of her favourite snacks. "You can't possibly spy on the couple too?" Jay asked in disbelief.

"That's what I've always been doing. If you're not coming then stay here and take care of Daehyun."

He watched as his wife left him alone in the house. He picked up his son and brought him out of the house, heading to the surveillance room.